Where to find unique samples for hip-hop/trap?

Jaymes

I have been playing around with samples and i have made some pretty good tracks based around them. Where should i look for samples that are different and will capture attention. I don't want anything that just sounds overused and unoriginal.

Look anywhere. you can still use overused samples but it comes down to how original and creative you can make it.

Try chopping up your samples and messing around with them.

But try different genres like folk to rock to indian to asian to jazz.

You have to just keep listening till you find something and then also see if you can make it sound different from the actual original sample you found.

I am sorry, but there aren't any unique samples for hip-hop/trap.

Just use what everybody else is using so you can fit in. You wouldn't use tabla drums in place of an 808/909 drum kit and still call your music trap. People need to learn how to fit inside the box if they are going to make music in a certain genre. Otherwise, it wold just make more sense to create a new genre based off of whatever you want to use.

Trap follows a formula. Stick with the formula to make trap music. If you deviate, you will not be making trap anymore. That is how it goes. People try to come up with something new or clever or different, but it always ends up sounding like something other than trap music.

Sample freeware VSTi's using SAVIhost (also freeware). Get a portable WAV recorder and make your own samples of wierd sounds. Stuff like that.

The 1$ bin at a old record shop in New York lol. Nah.. It's all about creativity man.. Just find something you like and build from it. When you say unique, your taste of uniqueness is different from what another artist might like. Possibilities are limitless on what you want, you just have to go and get it..

Last edited:
Listen to Freddie Gibbs' recent album. His producers were good at adding a unique style to the trap beats. It sounds like they slowed and time-stretched samples from other genres.

its all about creativity, and where u chop the sample. try adding effects like delay, reverb. try reversing the sample to switch things up entirely. check out what i did with Lonnie Liston Smith - Aspirations, almost has a trap feel

completely played my own melody. hope u found this helpful. good luck out here and keep working

Zero G has good sample packs for almost every genre. They're usually around the $15 -$40 range but definitely a worthwhile investment. They'll make your beats pop out with a really fresh and clean crisp sound.

Here: Zero-G Download Shop

Also Evil Needle has a cheaper kick with really nice drum sounds for cheaper.

Here: https://sellfy.com/p/pD5W/

Last edited:
The best ways I look for dope samples is the pandora app. Skim thru different oldschool artists and you'll might find gold.

Do you really sample for trap? All of the trap music that I listen to is typically sample free. Let's say Future, for instance. And I'll take his album Dirty Sprite 2, as a reference piece and perfect example of the trap genre. Throughout the album, you typically only hear drums, synths, and vocals. No samples. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's it! So, just study the artists and producers who make trap music, and incorporate that style into what you're doing. Now if you can figure out how to fuse some nice samples into your beats, you might just create a new genre yourself. Sampletrap. Nice.

Everybody wants to make trap music. I want to take it back to Teddy Riley Keith Sweat days lol! Don't judge me.

Do you really sample for trap? All of the trap music that I listen to is typically sample free. Let's say Future, for instance. And I'll take his album Dirty Sprite 2, as a reference piece and perfect example of the trap genre. Throughout the album, you typically only hear drums, synths, and vocals. No samples. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's it! So, just study the artists and producers who make trap music, and incorporate that style into what you're doing. Now if you can figure out how to fuse some nice samples into your beats, you might just create a new genre yourself. Sampletrap. Nice.

Everybody wants to make trap music. I want to take it back to Teddy Riley Keith Sweat days lol! Don't judge me.

A lot of trap music uses samples. Trap is more defined by the tempo, bass and drums. (60-75 bpm, 808 drum kits, 808 basslines fast triplets, etc.) Check out MC Tree Soul Trap.
shameless plug but you should check out our samples in my signature. Lots of cool samples that you won't have to worry about clearing.

Back