Where does one's Musical Style come from?

varun213

Does your musical ideas that you see yourself writing stem from your taste in music since adolescence as well as your current lifestyle?

Is music you personally create just a reflection of your lifestyle or how you were brought up? Can you take your music to a level a different level by practice or can you only deal with the cards that were given?

Ive been trying to find the answers to these questions. What do you guys think?

Essentially it's a mix of all those imo. However, I think ultimately your musical style is a choice you must make. You could be making some real creative music at first but it doesn't get the good enough reception so you start making music thats more popular and before you know it, your style is just what the majority is making. However, I think you could make whatever is popular and still have a distinct style just by focusing on a specific element (drum pattern, how you eq certain sounds, distortion etc) and consistently repeating it in each beat. Not everyone but people will start to pick up on your style as your music gains clout.

It mostly come from what kind of music you listen to.
What kind of music you listen to comes from your lifestyle, how you grew up etc...

I guess another influence is if you are an instrumentalist the kind of stuff you enjoy playing. I'm partly a classical pianist and I think it has a reasonably big influence on my music, but I don't actually listen to very much classical music, I only play it.

I also find music theory can be inspiring in a way. If you learn about a new kind of chord or technique, you feel inspired to use it in your tracks.

You can definitely take your music to another level by listening to more music, learning an instrument, or maybe even by learning theory.

I like playing a lot of death metal... it's so fun to play! Faster, more precision, more aggression!

But my writing? I like to write something mellow and sensual that I could love a woman to. Something beautiful.

Back