When you cant find an available name, where do you draw the line? Spell it different?

Yumid

Im not talking cliche words or names that are existing word and you'd expect to be taken already. Im talking about abstract names like Diplo, Datsik, etc..

obviously not those specific ones but you get the point.

What do you guys do if you come up with a name like that..search it..and realize someone else has it..but they live half way across the world and only have 500 followers? Do you go with it? Spell it different?

Obviously if someone BIG has it you pick something else..but every time i decide on something (and it will be a COMPLETELY random word) someone else has it.

Most recently I was gonna go with Koden but some dnb producer from the UK has it already, i was sure it would be available. But he only has like 1000 followers. And i could spell it Kodin.

What would you guys do in this situation? Keep in mind i am SICK of thinking of a name..ive been thinking about this for a year straight. every things taken!

Im beginning to get really excited to start releasing stuff but Im not doing it until every things in order. Name, promotional material, etc..this name stuff is really slowing me down haha. And a solution is not looking to come by anytime soon. Might be time to do some shrooms and and go on a spirit quest haha.

Last edited:
LOL!
With that mindset I wouldn't even be able to use my real name cos there's a Irish guy who's massive in the techno scene who shares it with me...

I'm of the school that believes names should be given rather than chosen. I use a couple of names for my music. The first was given to me by my mum and this is the one I use when I'm confident enough to stand behind what I've made.
The second was given by my mates. I use this for messabout shit that I don't take serious and don't want to be connected to to my main output.

IMHO, it doesn't really matter that much. Your product and getting your product to the people, those are the two most important things. If you want to become known that is. If your making music for yourself, there's a lot less that matters then.

IMHO, it doesn't really matter that much. Your product and getting your product to the people, those are the two most important things. If you want to become known that is. If your making music for yourself, there's a lot less that matters then.

Fully disagree. Im not planning on releasing a song here or there. I have bigger goals. Your name is what people are going to refer to you forever. Its crucial that it isn't going to get dated or old. To me anyway. It needs to have the potential to build a brand behind, etc... Your name is extremely important. Not necessarily to other people, because I like a lot of music where the name is ridiculous. It literally does not make a difference to me if I'm the listener. But I'm trying to think of one I'm happy with for me, not for anyone else. I want be to fine with getting called this name in 5 years.

Last edited:
It needs to have the potential to build a brand behind, etc... I want be to fine with getting called this name in 5 years.

More importantly, you need both a product to stand behind your 'brand' & and a product you can stand behind. The 2 aren't mutually exclusive.
A brand built on a shite product is a worthless brand.

Is 'Yumid' not a usable name (is it your 'birth name'?)?

If you can stand behind your beats with the name your mum gave you then your beats are hard... That's the way I'd play it.

Back