When To Use Transitions

Reign Supreme

Hey FP fam....

Hope ya'll had a great weekend making bangers in the lab and moving on up to the next level. I have question about using transitions in a track.

When should transitions occur in a track? Should ever track have a transition?

I usually like to do something that builds up to the next part of the song. From intro to the drop, definitely. Usually leading up to every hook. Sometimes its drums, sometimes sweeps or reverse cymbals. It depends what kind of feel you're looking for in the song.

Sweeps and risers can either be the start of a new energy, or the end of the current energy (you can cut it off to nothing, or drop down to a mellow part).

Drum fills add polish to the song, IMO.

You just want things to flow. If your changes are dry and abrupt, it may not be enjoyable to the listener. I've seen it referred to as "ear candy" - little sweeps and cool effects that keep the parts fresh and progress the song.

If you mean "transitions" as in changes, like verse/chorus/bridge and that kind of thing, well that's a case-by-case thing too. Some progressive EDM and rap beats can use one part throughout the song, and just add layers to make verses and hooks stand apart. But the old Pop standards dictate things like Verse-Chorus-V-C-Bridge-C and that type of stuff. Adding pre-chorus or instrumental parts is solely up to you and what your song needs.

I usually like to do something that builds up to the next part of the song. From intro to the drop, definitely. Usually leading up to every hook. Sometimes its drums, sometimes sweeps or reverse cymbals. It depends what kind of feel you're looking for in the song.

Sweeps and risers can either be the start of a new energy, or the end of the current energy (you can cut it off to nothing, or drop down to a mellow part).

Drum fills add polish to the song, IMO.

You just want things to flow. If your changes are dry and abrupt, it may not be enjoyable to the listener. I've seen it referred to as "ear candy" - little sweeps and cool effects that keep the parts fresh and progress the song.

If you mean "transitions" as in changes, like verse/chorus/bridge and that kind of thing, well that's a case-by-case thing too. Some progressive EDM and rap beats can use one part throughout the song, and just add layers to make verses and hooks stand apart. But the old Pop standards dictate things like Verse-Chorus-V-C-Bridge-C and that type of stuff. Adding pre-chorus or instrumental parts is solely up to you and what your song needs.

Ok help me understand this correctly. So with R&B and rap tracks your transitions can be just layers (synths, bass line etc) to make your verses and hooks stand out. But with pop tracks you have to stick an established standard. I keep hearing that you need to have transitions in order for your tracks to stand out.

Can you do me a favor and check out my track in my signature. I have a transition in the track but unfortunately it ended up towards the end of the track. Should it have been brought in sooner? Or is it fine where it is. Let me know what you think and I will return the favor.

Forgot about transitions right now. They're one piece of a giant tree that you dont seem to understand - song arrangement.

Find some reference songs, mark out the intro, verse, choruses, etc... then write down every element in each section. While doing this you should notice transitional elements between each sections.

Each section is usually going to either be 8 bars or 16 bars. Once people subconsciously understand music they will internally be expecting transitional elements at 8 and 16 bars. But generally the rule is just multiples of 4 in basic time sigs.

Forgot about transitions right now. They're one piece of a giant tree that you dont seem to understand - song arrangement.

Find some reference songs, mark out the intro, verse, choruses, etc... then write down every element in each section. While doing this you should notice transitional elements between each sections.

Each section is usually going to either be 8 bars or 16 bars. Once people subconsciously understand music they will internally be expecting transitional elements at 8 and 16 bars. But generally the rule is just multiples of 4 in basic time sigs.

Thanks KODID!

Back