When do you you know your ready to sell your beats online?

1WORD

So i have a simple question. When do you know your ready to make some money off of your craft?

I've been producing music for roughly 2 years and would like some insight from people who have experience selling instrumentals online.

Short answer?

When people want to buy your beats.

Suggestions on how to find out if they want to buy them?

Put out a beat tape, if people are asking for more or to buy a beat off you, now is the time.

BUT

There's never a wrong time to start selling beats.

Cheers,
Jordan

There are a lot of artists in this world with many different tastes. Make beats that you like and others will like them too. Keep in mind that 100% of the people will not like them, but some definitely will. If you make a beat and say to yourself, "Yep, I would buy that beat" then you are ready to start trying to monetize your music. Hope this helps.

I think you gotta just feel real confident in your producing ability to start.

But then you also gotta start learning about selling too. But start by doing soundcloud and youtube videos because people are always already looking for beats.

First you have to be sure your beats are dope enough . If you were mc would you buy your beats ? This is a question you have to ask yourself . Once you answer yes this to this question , make a remix with one of your beats , go to a small club and ask the dj if he can play your remix . If people dance to it just like it was an other industry classic song it mean your beats are ready to sell . An other step would be to show the remix to one of your homie or a girl and at the end told him/her you made the beat and remix . If he/she don't believe you that mean your beat are really ready to sell . Not only your beat are ready to sell but you will gain confidence making your next beats . If you fail at those steps go back to the lab and make sure it dosn't happen again . Speaking from my personnal experience here and been working great since . Note that the acapella you use have to fit perfectly with a beat you already made . The only adjustment you can make is to cut the beat at some place to give the track more epicness .

Even if your beats are not good enough to sell you can still upload them on your soundcloud / youtube page . Just make sure you improve in every beats you make . It may pay off in the end of the day .

Hope it help .

Never let anyone tell you that what you do isn't good enough, or that it isn't "Marketable"
Anything is marketable. It's called being a salesman. Make people feel like if they buy your music, that it will benefit them in some way.
Also, to quote one of my favorite teachers: "You can't just scream from the rooftops 'MY SHIT IS DOPE' you have to plan it out."

When your able to meet your own expectations. Don't have 5 beats that you are confident in and the rest are in question to yourself. You have to be able to consistently keep up and have stuff to listen to it helps you gain a following and increases your chances at selling. Also make sure you understand how these exchanges work when it comes to selling rights to your beats.

Thank you to everyone for the reply to this post. It has given me much to think about. I feel like i am ready and i have done some research and it sounds like a reasonable thing to do. But i don't know. If you guys could give me a second opinion on my music that would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Sounds cool man. You have good transitions and sections. The only thing I would say is that your low end levels are a bit high IMO. Try lowering your level by a few dB's and put a high pass filter at about 30kHz on your sub. Other than that, I'd say its pretty dope. I can hear someone like Kendrick Lamar spitting on this easy. Hope this helps.

Uncle Dutch Thank you for the replay and feedback. I checked out your channel bro great stuff.

Thanks man I appreciate it! I should have some more videos coming soon. I will have multiple camera angles and screen recording software in the future. I appreciate you checking it you. Maybe we could collab sometime. Have a good one.

You just become confident in your work and you realise that you have quality beats that could compete with music that's already out there (quality wise). Even if you don't start selling right away, just keep working on your craft and connecting with artists.

Thank you Snappy Dee I checked out your site bro. Nice Lil b playment. If you don't mind me asking how did that come about?

You are ready when you stop being afraid and gain some confidence. That takes time. Hopefully when you grow confident enough, your music will also have improved to a level of competence and fun.

Me personally i feel confident in my ability. I kind of just wanted a second opinion i guess.

P.S. Good Stuff Desire. Your music is really inspiring its like an entire movie in my mind.

Thank you Snappy Dee I checked out your site bro. Nice Lil b playment. If you don't mind me asking how did that come about?

I just sent some beats to his email, that's how he gets all of his beats (diorpaint@gmail, he probably still uses it). You won't know if he's using your beats until the song come out lol, but he would reply to your email with "dope" or "keep sending beats" which is a good sign. I think i sent him like 10 beats in total, he ended up using the one from the first batch.

You'll know when the time is right in your heart... Just messing with ya. Best thing I'd say is feedback from the group you're looking to sell your music too. If you're making clubish type beats, play it around some ladies or some kids if they start grooving or dancing to it you might have something that'll work. If you're making boombap play it around some ole hip hop heads if they start bobbin their heads or doing little freestyles. You're good. If you're making trap(American) play it around some younger dudes ages 14-28 and they start getting hype to it. Bam you're in business. feedback is important, just make sure it's from the correct market

You just become confident in your work and you realise that you have quality beats that could compete with music that's already out there (quality wise). Even if you don't start selling right away, just keep working on your craft and connecting with artists.

I'm just curious. How did you create your website? I've been trying to get one created for myself.

Back