What's your status?

jenethith

Hey guys i'm new to the forum and I wanted to know some people's stories. My question is, what's your status right now with being a producer? Are you where you want to be? Are you a full-time producer? Is it a hobby? I'm curious!

My status? I'm a noob. But not so noob. Okay, still noob. Been producing for 1 year now. Too much to learn, so your second question is answered: No, I still have a long road ahead of me. And this road is longer, because I only have a couple of hours to practice during the week, and some couple more to practice during the weekends. Producing started as a hobby, but I plan on getting more serious soon.

Right now just learning the ropes and considering going to school for audio engineering after my business degree. Right now producing is a hobby, but I definitely have plans to start taking it seriously. Still learning the technical ropes too; music theory, plugins, mastering, etc. Definitely not where I want to be, and I would say the time I spend producing is 2-3 hours every 2 days, usually at night when I have time for myself. In betwwen that I'm usually watching Youtube vids.

What about your status OP?

Last edited:
I've been producing around 8 months.
I just got my first exclusive release on a music blog/label today.
I do music just for a hobby while in college, maybe I'll turn it into a career if I feel I can make it and enjoy it still.

Last edited:
DDream good to hear man, hey just commit to this. If you want it bad, you'll get it.

DWKNS I noticed you're from t-dot, same here man! And thats great to hear bro. My story? Honestly I literally just started to try producing about a week ago LOL, I'm clueless with the programs, plugins and terms. I would say I have a good background with music, so coming up with the music shouldn't be too difficult for me. This is actually my first work in progress check it out hhttps://soundcloud.com/jenethith/first-beat I did that in probably a couple of hours so it's not ready yet haha.

MilDlrDime daaamn congrats dude! Post the link so I can check that out! and hey you never know man, work hard and you'll get it for sure.

Been producing actively and seriously for about 1,5 years now, currently producing my first tracks that I will actually make public. Still diving further into more advanced sounddesign.

Been producing actively and seriously for about 1,5 years now, currently producing my first tracks that I will actually make public. Still diving further into more advanced sounddesign.
What genre are you producing, steffeeh?

Electro/house/something for the moment, but I'll create another alias in the future where I'll just produce something electronic and see what it turns into, but I would guess IDM/ambient/futuregarage/glitch/etc

Electro/house/something for the moment, but I'll create another alias in the future where I'll just produce something electronic and see what it turns into, but I would guess IDM/ambient/futuregarage/glitch/etc
Nice man! Just keep us updated, I wanna listen to your future songs.

Still a newbie I would say, been studying the art since last November, but didnt actually start until February, and finally got a midi controller basically last month. I spend just about every moment looking for new music to listen to or new music to sample. Been lurking on here for quite sometime, finally made 4 beats in the past month, but still got a ways to learn. This is really just an interest of mine its a ridiculous amount of fun and hopefully I get to make a soundtrack to video game or something.

MilDlrDime daaamn congrats dude! Post the link so I can check that out! and hey you never know man, work hard and you'll get it for sure.

I appreciate that bro,
what genre are you wanting to produce? Where do you want to end up and would you like to make a career out of it?

Here's my exclusive:

I've accomplished everything I set out to do when I started making beats in 2003. My big thing was always producing one project in its entirety though so nothing too major but I wanted it to be something I could be very happy with. I did that 2 years ago. Now I am working on a solo EP as an electronic musician. Its really about done I just need to mix it and get some art work done. Its different from what I have been doing for years but its fun to do different things. I've produced for dozens of artists. I've done music oriented videos on YouTube and have what some people call a successful channel though I want to see it grow more. It's not a full time gig and I doubt it will ever be. That is no where near what my goals are. Right now its just to enjoy what I am doing and see where it takes me. I have a lot of interests and music is just one of them.

After 2-3 years of really grinding, I finally just got my first significant royalty statement from ASCAP for some of my music used on TV. It makes me want to go even harder, so this year is all about continuing on that path and getting more placements. We'll see how it goes.

Good luck to everyone in achieving what they set out to do.

Been doing this for bout 1.8 or so on n off...
Its a hobby tho i wish i had more time to be serious...
- but bills need a paying..lls

I dnt think i ever will be satisfied to the point i can say im were i want to be... but will continue to grow n learn

Ofcl.

Been rapping since the age of 2. Just recentely won 1st Place in the Pinnacle / Indi Rap Competition (http://http://indi.com/episode/3d76a3e1-30b3-4266-aafa-93ed8f8c0e63 ) I started producing around 15/16... Dropped my first project at 16 independent, unsigned. Graduated last December from Sound Masters in Los Angeles, CA with a degree & certificate in Audio Engineering & now i'm thinking about diving into Film once i feel i have mixing & mastering down to a science. I have alot more work to do as an full-fledge artist, but im striving towards it each & everyday. This is my passion. Always has been always will be. I'm looking to network with people who share a similar passion & that are dedicated. This is NOT a hobby. I use Ableton, Fruityloops & Pro Tools at the moment.-- Looking to expand & build.

I've been making beats for 10 years. I got fired from my job from Sprint so I said F it and now I'm trying to go hard on this 24/7. I just hated working for people who didn't have the things I want in life cause they can't tell me how to get them. So now I figure I might as well do something I like all day and start slow instead of doing something I hate all day to live comfortably.

Back