Whats missing

Tenom

To any experienced producers...

When you were in your first few months of producing, did you notice your sound had something missing? Like it was a good start, but there was something missing to almost all of your sounds so you can't really finish it and be satisfied?

Any advice how to get over this?

When you were in your first few months of producing, did you notice your sound had something missing? Like it was a good start, but there was something missing to almost all of your sounds so you can't really finish it and be satisfied?

Of course, there was a ton missing; EXPERIENCE!

In your first few months, all you should be focused on is finding a way to have fun making your own tracks. Develop a music making workflow that works well and increases the level of fun you have making beats. Build a DAW that helps you stay creative. I like being able to sit in front of my DAW and go without having to spend hours sample digging, setting up tracks or doing other tedious task. Also, I prefer to multitrack record audio and midi data for even further experimentation when arranging new songs and bla bla bla. These are necessities for me to enjoy working in and on my DAW. Get instruments like drum machines, keyboards, guitars, etc. Instruments, amplifiers and other cool tools add character to your sound. Plus, it helps to know how to play an instrument or two.

Of course, there was a ton missing; EXPERIENCE!

In your first few months, all you should be focused on is finding a way to have fun making your own tracks. Develop a music making workflow that works well and increases the level of fun you have making beats. Build a DAW that helps you stay creative. I like being able to sit in front of my DAW and go without having to spend hours sample digging, setting up tracks or doing other tedious task. Also, I prefer to multitrack record audio and midi data for even further experimentation when arranging new songs and bla bla bla. These are necessities for me to enjoy working in and on my DAW. Get instruments like drum machines, keyboards, guitars, etc. Instruments, amplifiers and other cool tools add character to your sound. Plus, it helps to know how to play an instrument or two.

I think I need to learn to play piano. I'm starting to realize every producer who's sound is good and can sample can hear a sound and know the key..

Like JC said. The experience was missing.

Just have fun with it for now. FUN is key! Don't expect to develop a sound from the get-go if you're not experienced with production. When I started it was all out of fun, trying to make FLPs that sound like Deadmau5 but sounded like garbage instead. Eventually, you will learn new techniques in approaching what you create which will ultimately lead to your own sound. If you're critical of yourself from the jump, you will only take the fun out of it and lower your drive to work. Just have fun and learn the corners and edges of your DAW for now man. Once you have, you can focus on your sound.

experience... it's nothing someone can tell you to really make you get better at producing.. it comes down to having an ear for shit... it's either you have an ear for shit or you don't..

If you're having fun, you're not learning. I don't aim to have fun, I aim for development and mastery, which means alot of time spent not having fun. If I want to have fun, I play a videogame.

Exactly. I want to learn but I'm not sure WHAT I should be learning or where to go. My sound was a 4/10 and it was easy to find sounds to add to the song, but now I have Nexus and all these different VSTs and it's hard to put the pieces together and get a decent sound.

Been Producing since 2011 and to get over like something is missing, all you do is be persistent and just produce, produce, produce and improve and make your tracks fatter.

Back