What's the best non-Mac laptop for music production?

cg2115

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to buy a 15" Windows laptop strictly for music production and am wondering which models would be best. I've used a Mac for a while now, so don't really know much about PCs. I'm willing to spend max $2,000 and want the most powerful machine I can get for the money.

I'm looking for something with:

-Atleast 16 gb of ram, preferably 32 gb
-a 7th generation quad core processor
-a SSD

Any insight would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
Why go for windows?
In my experience, every windows laptop I've owned was a horrible piece of trash. Especially after a while when it's done crapping all over
your system folders and cramming your system drive full of useless logs and registry entries (yup, that 'ol win95 shit again..no, still). If you haven't used
a PC before, you're gonna have lots of fun learning all about the registry! You'll have the time too, because by then the piece of shit will take about 25 minutes to boot...

Macbooks are just a lot easier and nicer to live with.
If you were looking for a workstation, I'd say the opposite.. Apple has lost their edge there.. they just cater to people with more money than sense now.
Their notebooks are still a cut above though..

But hey, maybe I've just been unlucky with the 10+ notebooks I've owned/worked with, right? haha..

As a guy with zero macintosh experience, and only uses windows and linux distros I'd have to say...[If you aren't building a computer]
HP,Dell,Lenovo, cyberpower, avatar & corsair machines. Macs will always have an audience, but for me I prefer using a desktop for production and gaming.
[Performance critic] and will continue to use those 2 operating systems for as long as they exist.

When it comes to machines though, been building for bout 3 years now :]

"Why go with Windows?"

I want a non-Apple machine specifically so I can use FL Studio. Their Mac version has been in development for what seems like a decade and is probably never coming out.

"HP, Dell, Lenovo, cyberpower, avatar & corsair machines"

Are there any versions of these that come preconfigured with 32 gbs of ram?

"Do you need the portability of a laptop?"

Yes, I'm specifically looking for a laptop but it doesn't have to be super thin or light

Thank you all for your replies and help

To each their own when it comes to computers.
I prefer building and stick to linux/windows systems due to giving up on consoles after the ps3 gen ended.

My Reason for sticking to Pc is a simple one. I like the exe format.

I own an old 2010 17" i7 macbook pro that I use for logic pro and a god mode Mac pro for very big projects and video editing.
I also use an Asus g750 (gaming series) which It's still running strong after some years and its the best laptop I've ever had.
Keep in mind one thing that 95% of ppl don't even consider and then wonder why their computers slow down.. HEAT.
When you see beast specs and a slim design... its a trap! Don't ever fall to buy slim things while aiming for power because more power you use, more heat you make... if your pc isnt able to get rid of all that heat you will be bottlenecked the whole time and trust me, most of laptop performance issues are cause by poor heat dissipation.
Macbooks compensate the slim design with an aluminium body, yet its a perfect example of a computer that will always run slower that what it would be able to. Hope you understood what I meant.

edit: also 7th gen cpu isnt necessary at all. I have a i7 4700hq and almost 4 gens later its still running faster than most.

Last edited:
Back