what's the best to interface to buy?

Let's go back a few steps to gather some information that will allow us to give you the best answer possible

What is your budget -how much can you afford to spend?

Are you going to be recording multiple microphones at the same time>? how many?

Are you going to be using outboard equipment to record from? how many at once and what number of audio outputs does each one have?

Are you going to be using outboard gear for processing once the tracking stage has been finished? how many and number of audio connections?

Are you going to be using stereo monitors or some form of surround sound for monitoring?

Last edited:
Personally I like the akai eie pro. I used to be a Yamaha guy, had the audio gram 6. It was pretty awesome itself but as far as sound goes I love my akai. It just has more options than my old one. Or any I've owned. Ive had extensive use of Yamaha audiogram (both), m audio interfaces (not going to elaborate, waste of my time and money I've owned 3 different models), onyx satellite (overly complicated for no reason) and what I have now. It's got USB outs on the back for extra equipment, phantom, easy to use knobs that don't over complicate it and it's under $400 easily. Plug and play depending on what computer I'm on. Most times it works but when someone's CPU won't install I just grab the dinner from the website. It's super portable but built like a tank. Dropped it once. Still perfect. Not even a dent. However it's heavy and not lean enough to sit comfortably in a shelf studio or professional studio. It's an awkward box shape lol.

How many ins/outs are you gonna need OP?
What are you input sources? (Turntable, mics, guitars etc)
What's your budget?

I've got a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and although I have no problems with its performance I'm looking at changing my interface later in the year...
I reckon I'll be going for a Steinberg UR44 - more ins & outs, 2 headphone outs and DSP that can be routed to the headphone mix when tracking.
More than anything I'm wanting to have my input sources plugged in and ready to go a moments notice.

Buy a good headphones, and nice speakers, and a midi controller. That's all you need to get on your way to making nice music. The speakers are essential for mastering your songs. I test all my beats with the speakers to see if they sound good after I master.

Back