What would you do

BTMM

Born To Make Music
I'm currently learning to produce music (At least the tools like Massive etc).

I'm going to be done with my first song pretty soon but it got me thinking . . .

1. Should I just concentrate 100% on "producing"

Or

2. Should I concentrate on producing music AND releasing weekly mashups or DJ mixes.

This way, when my 'product' is up to par, I will already have an audience to share my music with?

Has anyone been in the same boat?

I feel like I should just work on producing (1) and market the crap out of it once it's ready.

After all, learning tools takes time too.

What do you guys suggest?

I'm not doing this just for an hobby, that's just a waste of time. I want to go pro.

Last edited:
Do you like DJ'ing? If so, do both. I personally dont like DJ'ing so i dont. But if you like it. Go for both!

I double what Atabeats said, do both. If it's a hobby, you'll be having fun doing all these. Just post what you feel like posting. If it's good music, people will enjoy.

Peace

Thanks guys. Yeah agreed. Mixing or mashups can improve producing as well and vice versa. I

And don't be put off by not being "up to par".

You'd be surprised by how many people actually will follow someone's journey to success, if only that person would be consistent with there goals.

Look at fitness for example. Many people post online their route from sh*t to fit and gain a massive following.

In my experience, to hide away and not put yourself out there, is the worse thing you can do.

And don't be put off by not being "up to par".

You'd be surprised by how many people actually will follow someone's journey to success, if only that person would be consistent with there goals.

Look at fitness for example. Many people post online their route from sh*t to fit and gain a massive following.

In my experience, to hide away and not put yourself out there, is the worse thing you can do.

Yeah man agreed 100%.

I've been dying to put something on YT (Music / Journey) but YT takes time too. Video making, editing. The time I could be using to perfect my craft. That's the only reason I'm not doing the journey thing. Thanks for sharing.

Think it depends on if you have the time! Juggling everything is difficult enough without the added pressure of deadlines. Go for what you enjoy!

Can you pay 100% of your rent/mortgage/bills, afford to eat etc if you do?

If your answer is yes... I envy you...

Well I don't have mortgage :) - I'm a renter. However, it's a struggle because you feel this 'force' within you that keeps pushing you towards music but real life (Job, etc) intervenes. Like I'm at a public internet cafe right now looking for songs to put on a mix (Thunderstorm in DT Vancouver knocked off our lights). One thing I've come to terms with is life is always going to be 'uncertain'. You just gotta go for it! I'd rater die chasing my dream then being safe. Screw everbody. I love uncertainty. LET"S GO!

If you have rent to pay you have to pay your rent. Until you get into a position where music is paying the rent you need to work.

It's harsh but it's life...

If the force is still there when you've finished work; you make music.

Jobs are good. They pay for all sorts of cool stuff (mics/synths/drum pads/studio time) well as the rent.

Work.
Pay the rent.
Eat cheap.
Save.
Buy cool stuff.

As long as it's passable and you're okay with it do both. Just be picky about what you release. You want a good first impression. My advice make a song, mix or mashup have someone who you respect and trust to be honest listen to it and review it. If it's cool with them then post it. If not then scrap it.

Back