What to use

adinboy

I am trying to make a mix for my friend. I need a piece of software that will allow me to mix together different songs that I want and burn it onto a CD. I need to be able to edit the songs by cutting out some parts. I got fruity loops but that seems to be more geared towards music production rather than mixing. Then I got Serato DJ but that doesn't really allow me to edit individual songs i.e trimming off portions I don't want (or maybe I just don't know how). Now I'm using Digital Producer and while that lets me edit and put together a mix, it only provides fade in/fade out effects. But I want to implement some real mixing sound effects.

Is there any software out there that will let me do that? I would prefer a plugin suggestion for digital producer since I'm already knee deep and don't really wanna start over. I found the CueMix FX software by the same company but that seems to be an independent software rather than a plugin. I suppose I would be fine with using that software but it doesn't seem like it would allow me to edit the songs individually.

Last edited:
What kind of effects are you looking for then? Do you want to add your own sounds to the tracks as well or just "mix" them together with filters and such?

Ya just mix them with filters. It's going to sound stupid but adding that rewind sound effect is kind of what I'm thinking about.

Oooh, digital performer, now that makes much more sense. A vst host would be any program that can load up plugins in a vst format (which is the most common and widely used).

Go check out the kvr plugin section on their website, there's a ton of free stuff and essentially there's anything you would need to get going.

Doesn't digital performer have its own stock plugins?

Last edited:
Oooh, digital performer, now that makes much more sense. A vst host would be any program that can load up plugins in a vst format (which is the most common and widely used).

Go check out the kvr plugin section on their website, there's a ton of free stuff and essentially there's anything you would need to get going.

Doesn't digital performer have its own stock plugins?

Haha ya sorry about that. I guess they do but I just started using this today and I have no idea how to access those features. I have looked everywhere and found nothing so far.

Then I would suggest you read the manual
By the looks of it, digital performer comes with a whole array of juicy plugins that probably do exactly what you are looking for. I don't know what version you're running, and I honestly know very little of the program itself, but looking at the website the later versions (at least) are packed with all kinds of plugins.

Version 8 comes with 84 fx and instrument plugins.

Last edited:
Then I would suggest you read the manual
By the looks of it, digital performer comes with a whole array of juicy plugins that probably do exactly what you are looking for. I don't know what version you're running, and I honestly know very little of the program itself, but looking at the website the later versions (at least) are packed with all kinds of plugins.

Version 8 comes with 84 fx and instrument plugins.

Which is what is frustrating because I have version 8 and I'm seeing them advertise all these features but I can't find them anywhere. I suppose I'll just read the manual and see if I can find anything

Hehe yeah, I can understand what you're going through, we were all there at some point more or less. But really, the manual will clear a lot of your questions up, particularly basic operations like loading the plugins etc etc. You should be up and running in no time. Until you find your plugins, I wouldn't be concerned about any other plugins for a long time. You've got a lot to go through and get to know before you should feel like you're missing certain features of any particular plugin.

Motu digital performer is supposed to be one of the heavyweights. So I wouldn't under estimate what it can do.

Last edited:
Serato should allow you to do what you're trying to do. My guess as to why it didn't would be human factor...

Back