what sounds or presets to select for chords?

Loc Le

are there rules when it comes sound selection for your song? what sounds do i use for chords, obviously synth lead wont work as it just doesn't sound right, i wanna now start focusing on music part and learn mixing later, but can sound selection save some of the mixing work, what i also figure is that a lot of modern music incorporate mixing part and now gives it a distinct sound of EDM , as its just not music anymore but with mixing added like effects, I'm just going to using normal sounds for now and maybe in future incoprtate effect processing to extend the musicality. Also because i want to strict myself regular rules of music theory for now, im scared if i use the wrong sounds the note will fall of pitch or the chords doesnt sound right, i want a bit of knowledge so that when i write music all the pitch is right, other wise i guess ill just use basic piano, guitar ect lol. thank you :) sorry for rough knowledge i might be wrong

If it sounds good it can't be wrong.

Using leads for chords is fine.

Pads or supersaws are common.
Or you could try experimenting with broken chords (playing the notes from a chord one after the other instead of at the same time)

No rules. Even music theory isn't a set of rules - they're more like guidelines or best practice kind of thing; stuff that works well together. But going out of those boundaries isn't forbidden in any way. Don't be scared to experiment and make mistakes - the worst thing that can happen is that you end up with a song that doesn't sound so good.

Back