What Are Some of The Challenges In Your Career?

nehemeizcool

Hey Guys,

I've decided I wanted to get into blogging, So i figured I's start here to get some ideas on what to write about. I wanted to ask you guys, whether you are a producer or an artist, what are some of the challenges that you have dealt with as you work your way through the music industry? it could be a personal challenges like writers block or business related challenges. Anything insight you can provide would be awesome, Thanks.

Getting frustrated with balancing beat making and normal day life. Working 40+ hours, plus putting tons of hours into my music. I get frustrated after I take a few days of no music.

One problem many "music producers" face, including myself, is time and access to people in the industry. Social media can only get you so far. Not to mention, social media is so over-saturated with "Check out my beats" (I do it too) and "Visit mywebsite.com for 100 free beats." that literally everyone who is not already working is just a needle trying to find a way out of the haystack.

UncleDutch is right, each time I post my music or videos on a Facebook group I wonder if it's worth it, 5 seconds later you have a post above yours, it's over-saturated. Facebook pages aren't what they use to be either, you don't have many exposure they want you to promote your post with ads... It's very hard to get exposure on music and it's frustrating

If you think exposure is tough now, you should have been around before Internet. Exposure meant: playing live gigs, recording full songs with analog gear, selling CDs or tapes at the gig or out of your trunk, putting up posters, creating demos with jewel cases and printed artwork, sending those demos blindly to record labels and radio stations... it got expensive in both time and money, and you still weren't guaranteed a damn thing.

I think the challenge today is actually translating any "online" success into real success. I feel like people are sitting home making music, and expecting someone to be an actual fan of that. No style, no charisma, no flesh & blood. To me, everyone looks the same online - so you have a wacky haircut.. welcome to 2015. Seen it! You're still a small little picture with a @______ next to it, promoting music the same as everyone else. Unless you put out a killer undeniable hit song, I think the best exposure is still in large masses in the real world - a club or festival or something. Whether you can play a gig, or get a DJ to play your song during primetime.

For every track I actually listen to on my social networks, there are at least 10 I frankly skip right over. Been burned too many times by "check out this heat", and it's been just.. not my thing.

I want to see that you're real. Not just a computer. Coz right now, your image, your sound, your philosophy, your interaction with fans... it's all via computer. Someone could write a program that could literally be you, if they had the time and know-how. People using automatic Twitter posting services... man.. the platform is fake enough, now your content is too?

And trust me.. I'm as guilty as any of this stuff. You gotta keep up with the Jones's. But I've been pushing back against it lately, and going to weekly open mic nights with my bass to jam with some people. Getting my name out there and shaking hands with people who work in music for a living. Back to handing out business cards, and letting people know what I can do while I confidently look them in the eye. No huge results yet, but it sure feels a lot more real to me, which has given me renewed energy and hope.

One for me is finding my audience, and being consistent. Defiantly with more consitencey I would have a wider audience or I would have the possibility of finding more people who fit my sound, but right now I am just in the process of trying to better myself and still gathering my music self. The biggest challenge is people always want me to produce mainstream for them wither it is hip hop mainstream or edm type of stuff, and I can do that, but its not what I excel at. It's the difference between taking a class you're good at, and one you're exceptional in.

For me it lies not outside but inside. My biggest challenge is getting over procrastinating. I got people, I got equipment and I'm loaded with ideas. No worries about that shit, but getting to actually do shit without distractions or procrastination is my biggest challenge.

Last edited:
The dead ends. The money side of things. I've gotten people who like my music, but They're not doing anything with it. I worry about the right views instead of the quantity of views. I get a person interested in a beat. When it comes to talking business(even with free beats) It's poof.

Back