In what order do you produce?

Jackdamnielz

Hey there guys, ive got a general question.

While building (making) a new track at first I usually sort of make the (main sound) which exists of several elements.

And while building these into a track I sort of lose what to do first and what to do last. I always automate early into the process which I find makes it way harder to get a good mixdown in the end.

What im trying to say here is should I try and prevent using plugins until the very end? Instead of trying to get a certain element sound great with all kinds of plug-ins while not having build other elements yet?

Would it be better to just at first make the whole track with pure sounds until its like a RAW track and start using automation, reverb, eq’ing etc etc after?

Somehow when I get to the end of my project I find it really hard to do a good mixdown when already all my channels have lots of plug-ins.

How do you guys do this or deal with this?

Whatever works for you - I mean, if you're going to add a lot of plugins anyway, what's the point of avoiding them? You'd just be pushing the problems with the mixdown towards the end of the process. And of course, you can always turn them off when mixing if it helps.

Why are you adding plug-ins to a track or element so early?
I can only think of two reasons to add any kind of shaping plug-in or effect.

1) To enhance a sound that needs highlighting....
2) To tame a sound that's in conflict with another sound.

Usually, in my experience, you need a group of elements or something to mix against or with.
Mix is the operative word. You are mixing elements together to make a cohesive whole.

It sounds like your seasoning to taste before adding all the ingredients.
I say save the effects until you hear an actual problem that requires a fix.

Once your mix is basically done (levels/pans and such) then listen and see where additive/subtraction adjustments are needed.
My 3 cents.

Hey there guys, ive got a general question.

While building (making) a new track at first I usually sort of make the (main sound) which exists of several elements.

And while building these into a track I sort of lose what to do first and what to do last. I always automate early into the process which I find makes it way harder to get a good mixdown in the end.

What im trying to say here is should I try and prevent using plugins until the very end? Instead of trying to get a certain element sound great with all kinds of plug-ins while not having build other elements yet?

Would it be better to just at first make the whole track with pure sounds until its like a RAW track and start using automation, reverb, eq’ing etc etc after?

Somehow when I get to the end of my project I find it really hard to do a good mixdown when already all my channels have lots of plug-ins.

How do you guys do this or deal with this?

I see what you mean, I'm also interested in hearing peoples view on this! I do what you do. I use my plugins, automation etc as I go along and then do any fine tuning at the end. I just do it this way because I find it easier to build the track, it helps in setting up a direction to take the track in my opinion :)

Although I am new to producing, from the beginning, I have always added plugins to a sound or two, but for the purpose of getting the sound I want it to make. Sometimes the raw sound doesn't fit exactly well with what you have in mind for the beat. In my opinion, as long as you get to your end goal, that's all that matters.

I start with an idea of how I want my whole track to look. My thought map is roughly: general structure (intro, development, drop/main beat section, development 2, drop/main beat section 2, outro, etc etc) -> more melodic or sound design oriented -> tempo -> what type of kick + bass do I want. After this, I try out some samples and pair synths with them to try and get a feel for the track and work from there. Don't be afraid to delete things, mute things, or save things for later. Often times one of my finished songs only uses about 25% of what I made to try and get the song to come together. For me, if I don't see a sort of blueprint for the entire track upon beginning, it may be very difficult to come to place where I feel as though the track is finished.

Unless I have been messing with a specific melody (either on keys or guitar) - my tracks always start with a sample.

Find sample, cut sample to loop, chop sample, flip sample (and variations of the flip) sometimes I'll lay down guide drums.
Find appropriate drum sounds, lay down drums.
Add basses, add synths/guitars/keys
Ad sparkly bits.

If I started with a melody/guitar-riff...

Lay down guide drums.
Lay down riff/melody (and variations of the melody)
Find appropriate drum sounds, lay down drums.
Add basses, add synths/guitars/keys
Add sparkly bits.

Back