What is one paid VST that you would recommend to a beginner?

RichieC

Hey all,

I run FL Studio and I'm trying to learn all the ins and outs of it.

However, with these free VSTs, I feel like I'm not getting the quality that would help me learn. Also, using free VSTs makes me not want to practice FL Studio just because I've heard the quality from paid VSTs that make free VSTs sound cheap.

I'd rather pay for a VST that will motivate me want to produce more.

I want to lean towards a hip hop style, or artist styles such as kendrick lamar, j cole, kanye west, and drake.

I've heard of omnisphere, kontakt, east west, sylenth1. But what would you recommend given that I am a beginner looking to learn all the ins and outs of producing, and leaning towards a hip hop style?

Thanks in advance.

Spontaneously I'd say you should explore what you have in FL already, It has really nice instruments. So nice in fact that I even bought one of them (Harmor) for use in my daw of choice.

You downloaded the wrong free VSTs. Download the free Kontakt Player and the free Kontakt Factory Selection from Native Instruments. That is enough to get you started to make some good music. Upgrade once you get comfortable with that.

I'd recommend a paid vst like zebra and kontakt. Omnisphere has good sounds for movie stuff though. Not fond of the way it handles synthesis, but it's basically nexus3000.
In my opinion, get a vst that has natural sounds and one that let's you make unnatural [synthesis] sounds to cover as much ground as possible.
Uvi too.

I would say go with Kontakt and some good libraries. Quality sounds and lots of room to expand.

I'd recommend a paid vst like zebra and kontakt. Omnisphere has good sounds for movie stuff though. Not fond of the way it handles synthesis, but it's basically nexus3000.
In my opinion, get a vst that has natural sounds and one that let's you make unnatural [synthesis] sounds to cover as much ground as possible.
Uvi too.

That's actually what I'm looking for. Very clean sounds. Although omnisphere sounds great and epic, I want to develop my own sounds from the basics.

I've tested nexus and massive and they seems to be more of presets.

Is Kontakt considered a library of presets too?

Omnisphere sounds are pretty good but the frequencies on them are all over the place imo.
Kontakt is recorded sounds from real instruments and can not be 100% replicated by even the best synthesizers on the planet [Yet]
Massive can be used to create sounds but it's known for it's presets like omni and nexus.

I've played with many of those things but I seem to stick with zebra and reason's plugins the most. Just can not remove zebra, too used to it.
Reaktor and reason are just a whole other level of modular stuff also. omnisphere's creators take advantage of combining synths with samples too.
Omnisphere, it's best used in a scenario where you're doing audio for videos or something.

Omnisphere sounds are pretty good but the frequencies on them are all over the place imo.
Kontakt is recorded sounds from real instruments and can not be 100% replicated by even the best synthesizers on the planet [Yet]
Massive can be used to create sounds but it's known for it's presets like omni and nexus.

I've played with many of those things but I seem to stick with zebra and reason's plugins the most. Just can not remove zebra, too used to it.
Reaktor and reason are just a whole other level of modular stuff also. omnisphere's creators take advantage of combining synths with samples too.
Omnisphere, it's best used in a scenario where you're doing audio for videos or something.

Thanks. So it seems like Kontakt is what I should go with. I'd like to go with the purest sounds and then add synths to create new sounds

I would seriously check out a decent sized list of vsts and "demo" them at least 3 months before making a decision man.
You can achieve a "pure" sound with all the plugins but if you do not plan on using a mic and real instruments, vsts like kontakt and garritan come into play.

Last edited:
However, with these free VSTs, I feel like I'm not getting the quality that would help me learn. Also, using free VSTs makes me not want to practice FL Studio just because I've heard the quality from paid VSTs that make free VSTs sound cheap.
This simply wrong. Only a bad workman blames his tools.

Paid VSTs are good, but they only give you more variety, not higher quality. Besides, FL's stock plugs are really good.

Last edited:
I'd get refx vanguard just a awsome synth not really complex if I need a quick synth sound that's usually my go to or sylenth1

Native Instruments Komplete (specifically Kontakt, Absynth, Massive, Battery) and Omnisphere/Trillian.

Back