What Motivates you to keep producing music?

I make music because I feel empty when I don't, because even after years in the medium I'm not sick of it like all the other arts I've tried, and because I want to share my passion with people.
Also filling a dance floor is an incredible feeling, not that i'm a pro or anything

Another videogame to me. I love it to death like I love the mgs franchise.
I'm more into the synthesis and acoustic aspect of sound design however.
I compose afterwords if I'm feeling it enough.

All three of these answers are incredible. It's inspiring to see others that share
similar feelings about music making. For me it's all I have left. It'd take me another
ten years to learn any other profession. At this point I'm just happy I can lie down
ideas and share a good time, listening to what I made. I've gone through some health
issues and this music is something that helps keep my mind off those things.

Last edited:
word man, the further you go, the further you go, right! Music is amazing, there's a mood for anything.

If I wasn't a creative I probably would've been a criminal or politician (in so far there's a difference).. it's a kind of aggression really.. or drive (*sounds better, right?) that needs an out one way or the other.
The choice I have is whether to apply it constructively or destructively. Luckily I've always taken the constructive route so I'm actually a very balanced, relaxed person because of it.

you really cant force inspiration, you learn that it is in control and you have to make the compromise to be its slave if music is something youre passionate about. Im good at letting things other than myself run my life though, why do you think a good amount of us are drug addicts? we learn that early and then express our longing for death through the music.

Lol, that's pretty dark..
I don't agree that inspiration just happens and you gotta roll with it. Definitely doesn't work like that for me... if I sit and wait, I don't get inspired at all. I need action and life around me.
So my music definitely isn't a longing for death.. quite the opposite. It's always about the here and now if that makes sense. My music isn't escapism, I make soundtracks to what's going on around me.. good or bad.

well for me its a process, i may be weird but i cant just sit down and make something that i would consider good, sure i can make music all day, but only when its time do i create something that i would consider encapsules me as an artist. i see music as a tool, i use it to replicate and express pain inside myself in hopes that someone can understand and take something away from it. thats what it all boils down to any ways. human connection. and my music is an expression of my suffering. and people who understand that pain undertand my music

if i were to ever get to a point in my life that i would consider happy, or content, i wouldnt make music any more, because my music stems from suffering, which alot of peoples art does, idk, thats me, idk if anyone can relate to that here but thats just one persons experience.

i started this yesterday, i use music as a tool to replicate how i feel inside, relay it to others. The Ghost and the Vibrations by DeadGingerbread | Dead Gingerbread | Free Listening on SoundCloud

granted its not complete its just the base of a beat but im just trying to convey how i take music on, everyones different, but basically depression is my motivation.

That's a pretty cool beat man. I like the bit crushed pads.

Just to clarify, I wasn't saying you're wrong, just want you said made me think about my own motivations.

DeadGingerbread, I share a lot of the same motivation. I had very few friends in high school
so for me, half the time instead of going out I'd go straight home to blaze it and mess around
on my keyboard or learn Fruity Loops all by myself. In a way I'm kind of an emotional person.
I don't hold grudges whatsoever, but I do feel like my story consists of me feeling left out of
the circle and excluded from the norm that society portrays. Loner at heart.

^ all good man. A lot of great artists are social outcasts. Embrace it, it's a powerful trait for an artist to be unique.

I can honestly say that a motivating factor in production of music to me is always the ladder portion of creation. That wow factor, that moment when you hear something you invested any amount of time, whether short or long, night or day. I have had a few of my productions played via the radio outlet and I reflect back to the moment when I had that inspiration to create the particular song being played. Nothing beats that feeling. Its not all about the glamour or the "Wanna Make It In The World" attitude. When you do this thing called music for the love of it, it does pay off in the end. And that in itself should be a motivating factor!

Personally, being an introvert, I always had a hard time expressing my emotions to other people. Once I started making music, it became the perfect platform for me to express my emotions. My music is my outlet. No matter how I'm feeling, I always feel better after sitting down with my music.

Music is an escape for me. Doesn't matter whats going on in life when you're vibing with the music you are making in the moment.

I've been into singing and music ever since choir in elementary school.

At times in my life I may had been into this or that but music was always calling me.

Now I'm not so much compelled as it's just something I do, there are a handful of things I do to pass time in life and one is music.

My life almost literally boils down to: exercising, cooking/eating, hanging with friends, singing/playing instrument/making music, and wasting time online.

And I only hang with friends 1-2 times a week, so gradually allowing less and less time in my life for "distractions".

Stopped watching TV a while ago now, same with video games, nothing but massive black holes for spare time.

Back