What makes a song great compositionally ?

This is an incredibly open ended and personal question. I know that this is not the answer you're looking for, but I would recommend listening to a bunch of different genres with that thought in your mind - "How does this make me feel? What is the mood of this style? What is the context of when and where people might listen?"

Then take it a step further. "WHY does it make me feel this way? Is is the chord progressions? The sounds? The melodies?"

Everyone is drawn to different genres at different times. It's all about the context and emotion that pulses throughout.

i don't think there's a reason why people specifically like certain songs.. maybe they like the vibe or the feel of it.. that's all i could think of

I think it's when you listen to a song, as soon as you press stop, the melody keeps going on in your head and makes you want to re-play it. Mainstream media use that psychological effect to create most of their chorus "hooks".

what there is that will draw a person to like a specific genre.

I have a hard time thinking of a decent answer to this question, but I think it sometimes depends on how open you are to music as a whole.

If music is just a secondary thing in a person's life (eg; parties, clubbing, to help study, etc), that person will tend to like more mainstream stuff. That's not really a good or bad thing at all.

If a person listens to music because he/she's interested in how sounds work, or how progressions develop, or for subtleties, or to experience a wide range of moods, etc., that person will be more receptive to a wider array of genres/artists. (Perhaps more "underground" stuff).

Depending on your personality, you may find a certain genre often has more tracks that appeal to the subtleties, or progressions, or sounds you find most pleasing. And of course, that becomes your go-to genre.

Someone who likes rock may like electro house as they both often share high energy. Or an R&B fan might dig progressive house for a more mellow feel. And maybe if you're generally more open to music, you could be a hip hop head bumpin' trance, or vice versa.

I dunno how good of an answer this is, but everything is subjective, that's for sure.

Last edited:
Tuff question? normally a specific artist draws me into a Genre.

Songs attract my interest for a whole bunch of reasons, a vocal tone or vocal harmonies, lyrical poetry, strange concepts and unusual ideas, indulgent and elaberate solo's packed with personality that capture a mood within the performance, sponteniety, humor - especially irony, simplicity or technical difficulty, fusion of styles and culture, bucket loads of instrumentation, ideas that challenge perceptions about music.

It' s difficult answer stylistically, like someone asking you your favourite song, some of the songs I love come through the grapevine, no pun intended :D, I discover music out of boredom and a need for change. I attach music to memories of specific people, maybe some point in time, even a significant place: my music memories are a powerful intoxicant, my mood alters and feelings change with the simple spin of a record.

From this --

To rappers that givin it large --

Sorry couldn't resist:D

Last edited:
Back