What made you start producing music for the first time?

Schvletski

I was influenced originally by my friends, but with no motivation my attempts at producing slowly died. I came back a few years later once I started learning the Piano. From there I needed to write my own songs with more than just piano, so i moved on to digitally producing music.

Last edited:
I was actually playing San Andreas multiplayer on some roleplay server years back. I was filming and editing videos and there there was this one dude who sent Me instrumental to use in one of the projects.
It was really beautiful and I was asking him about it and he said he made it if Fl Studio. Next day got Fl Studio opened it up, and it started from there. :)

Friends were messing about with Magix Music Maker, which was a real thing back then.. it was even advertised on TV.
I played around with it too, but quickly found it too limiting and came across Fruityloops, which wasn't called 'studio' back then.. and my older sister's boyfriend was making tracks with Fasttracker, so he put me onto that and explained the basics of sampling. I went with Reason for a few years, but came back to FL.

Motivation? Meh, dunno... I could so I would..

Started in middleschool with fl studio, then migrated to Reason during highschool.
Then a few years afterwards became a pretty good drummer and learned as many scales as I could.
Learned sheet music also, and many synths.
----------------------------------
A whole different ballgame than making a simple flip. This depends on the producer and how far they wanted to take music producing :]

Last edited:
Hey everyone.... Dissolute Void

I started producing in june...
I'm a game designer but, I thought to myself my games need a better soundtrack...
I'm still not good but I'm working on an album...
I already figured out music theory, and sound design...
I figured out lots of cool stuff, but I realize the more you learn about music the harder it is to make tracks.... (Because you feel forced to implement what you learned)

Happened in two phases:

Phase 1: I came up in Detroit. Around '88 Techno and House was huge and in Detroit we had a DJ on the radio named "The Wizard" that had mix shows on WJLB in the evenings that were incredibly popular, spinning house, techno, hip hop, funk, and whatnot. I wanted to DJ and a couple of years later I was taught how to spin by one of Detroit's other big name DJ's on the radio. With this came a want to learn how to make Techno. I had an Atari ST computer back then and I picked up a copy of Steinberg Pro 24 (the predecessor of Cubase) and borrowed my uncle's Alesis HR-16B drum machine and got into it.

Phase 2: Around 1991 I decided to start writing rhymes thanks to a love of hip hop enhanced by my time behind the decks, learning to juggle breaks and spittin lil rhymes over 'em. One of my boys started writing with me and we decided to make a rap duo out of it. In 'early 92 we took a drive up to my uncle's crib in Bay City, Mi to see if he could make some beats for us with some sample material I brought with me. The process intrigued me enough that I figured I'd try my hand at making hip hop beats. One of my boys had a couple of cousins that wanted to rap too, and his other cousin was a musician so my boy's dad invested about $10K-20K in a pair of Alesis ADAT's, a 24 channel Tascam board, an MPC 60mkII, rack mounted ASR-10, Yamaha W7, and mics and effects processors and stuck it in his office building as a recording studio. Every now and then I would swing by to chop it up, make a beat, and spit rhymes. Eventually I picked up a few cheap pieces of equipment and started making my own shit alongside the Techno I was also making.

My father had installed Mixcraft 5 on his computer. One day, my elder brother and I just opened Mixcraft and started making beats. Later, my brother stoped producing, but me not. Now, I still produce beats with Mixcraft 7.

no shit man....I'm from bay city. What're the odds haha

yeah really. I have a decent amount of family still in Bay City. My brother and his moms, got some cousins I haven't seen in yeeears. My Grandmother (mom's side) lived there for the longest before she passed. I used to split my summers between her house and my other Grandmother's crib down the road in Carrollton (right next to Zilwaukee). Used to have a membership at The Boys Club over on Lafayette (so you know how long ago that was... I stopped going about 5 years before it was called The Boys and Girls Club).

yeah really. I have a decent amount of family still in Bay City. My brother and his moms, got some cousins I haven't seen in yeeears. My Grandmother (mom's side) lived there for the longest before she passed. I used to split my summers between her house and my other Grandmother's crib down the road in Carrollton (right next to Zilwaukee). Used to have a membership at The Boys Club over on Lafayette (so you know how long ago that was... I stopped going about 5 years before it was called The Boys and Girls Club).
That's funny man, I know exactly where you are talking about. I went to high school at western for a bit but then moved to the west side of the state

I've always been into music, ever since high school my friend hooked me up with a huge list of bands... respected that guy mad so I listened to them all... then his cousin put me on to FL Studio... shit was crazy I never knew music could get that complicated... then I just went from there... still learning stuff though... never give up your dreams...

Back