What I recommended doing when first getting started on your production journey !!

MightyJ

Problem : Most producers getting started think they need tons of fancy equipment???? just to be successful or a good producer but in reality all you really need is a good amount of invested time and a little patience!!! For example its the summer time and you want a slamming hot body for the summer so you can get tons of chicks so you go buy tons of workout dvds??? and you think your job is already done but however you failed to realize that it is not, not only did you just pay for something you could of probably found on YouTube or in the google app playstore but you also probaly just invested in something your not willing to do! Now I'm nowhere near perfect or a expert considering I'm just starting my self to but you need to put all your time and energy into stuff your actually willing to do!! Just because you see all these other producers with tons of fancy gear does not mean you need to go and buy it yourself because!!! To keep it short stay focused young producers !!!!!???? please like share and thumbs up if you found this some what inspirational or helpful? and I wish you the best of luck on your music journey??

I've been doing music for years, but I don't really use a lot of gear. But I'm always willing to learn, and experience. I will definitely try to get more involved in mastering music in the future, that might require some equipment.

I agree, but sometimes if you buy the very basic controller or monitors, it gives you the push you need as a beginner and you enjoy working more.

Same here, I started with Mpc 2000xl back in 2001, but it outgrew me. Even you can make dope records of it, you cannot mix or such. You must mix beats from mpc into computer that was time consuming. When I start with the computer, I gettin better and better. But I have alot to learn still!

I agree with what you say, that the work need to to be done anyway to get better and finish something.

But also what Odin-Music said.
For beginners its also important that it keeps making fun. Like if you learn a new instrument, its better when you have a good instrument thats easy to play. For example: a good guitar player will sound relative good on a shitty guitar, but for a beginner it can be the nail in the coffin when its to hard and frustrating to get a good sound out of the instrument.

I started with laptop, mouse, keyboard and shitty headphones too.
But when you commit your time and energy anyway - i would invest some money in the setup too, improve your workflow.
I think its a natural process to start with almost nothing and end up with a whole bunch of equipment lol

I agree with not needing all the fancy gear, I definitely didn't have any when I started, but it can be fun to learn new techniques on a piece of gear or a Midi controller, and it helps create a work space for you to be creative within :)

I write everything in FL studio 11. All I use is my computer and my imagination. lol :)

Last edited:
What you need is the most expensive equipment and a lot of money. No, really, it is enough to have decent headphones or even a headset. If you are really into producing music, your first crappy sound with FL Studio will stay in your head and will make you want more. :o

Good post and good comparison.

Funny thing, when I see producers with all the fancy gear, they're always talking about how they haven't touched it in a very long time. I'm still using a Yamaha DJX MIDI keyboard as my controller and Propellerhead Reason. Same gear over the last decade, but better music each year.

I agree, you should first improve your skills and at some point when your skills get high enough you can feel where the limits of your equipment are. At this point you will also know much better which gear you really need.

Back