What hardware is best to start with?

butteryassjose

Needs more cowbell
I'm looking to get a rather "noobish" level drum machine so I can start producing hip hop. I really like the MPC's, but they tend to be out of my price range for right now. Can anyone recommend a basic drum machine, but one that has most necessary features to learn the concepts of producing and make decent music? One very important feature I need is to be able to upload my own samples into the machine. The 2 main ones I am debating on getting is the MPC Element or the Boss Dr. Sample sp 202. I am also open to other suggestions.

Non digition.
1 MPC60
2 MPC3000
3 MPC2000
4 MPC2000XL
5 MPC4000
6 MPC2500
7 MPC1000
8 MPC500
9 MPC5000
10 MPC Renaissance
11 MPC Studio
12 MPC Fly
13 Roland Mv8800/8000
14 That thing you said.
15 maschine studio[plugs into comp but standalone]

Computer + controller Digi tonse route is
Padkontrol
mpd18
mpd26
mpd32
quneo
nanopad
lpd8
ableton push
maschines not studio

Needed to make music? No. Preference. Mouse can do it all, but preference sometimes is just plain >>>>>>mouse
If you don't use a pc then yeah stuff like an mpc or them step sequencers sps.

Personally, and assuming you have a reasonably spec'd computer; I reckon the Maschine Mikro is the BeatMakers BadBoy Bargain of the Decade...

Same exact software as the 'Studio' and 'MKII' but with a bit more use of multifunction buttons and the mouse.
Drum machine, sampler, sequencer (pattern based), built in mixer (since V2), can run VSTs or be run as a VST from within another DAW and topped off with a relatively easy workflow and about 6GB of very usable (and often editable) sounds.

My price range is in the neighborhood of 150-200. I understand I will not find many quality machines in that price range, but for now it will have to do. I am leaning more towards the MPC Element just because it comes with an MPC Essentials software which doesn't have nearly as many features as the regular MPC Software, but at $150 it's a fair bargain.

I'mNoGuru, thanks for putting me on the Maschine Mikro! Looking into it it's a little out of my range, but considering all of its features it is well worth the money. That will more than likely be my next machine after I decide to move one from the MPC Element. Then I could keep that one for a good while before upgrading to Maschine or an ACTUAL MPC.

I'd save harder/longer... Buy nice or buy twice (so they say)...
MPC Elements is just that... Not whole... The Maschine software will keep you 'wanting' less...
It's not a full featured DAW but still enough to go pretty deep.
But the real boon is its adaptability - more so IMO than the full MPC Softaware. Dope on its own in Standalone mode - Dope as a VST within your DAW.

Pass on the 202 unless paired with another sampler, or a sequencer.
The Zoom sampletrak, or Boss sp505 are just a little bit more, and more capable.
The element isn't too bad I suppose either.
If i had to pick n the sub $150 range I'd probably go sp505 though.

Also I'll add that $200 will get you an mpc500 with a little looking around.
The sp505 still looks pretty tempting though.

As for software. a used mpd for 60 bucks, and some free software can go a long way today.

I wish my padkontrol didn't need software tbh. It'd be nice to be able to just put some drums and samples while layin down sometimes.
One of these days I am seriously considering caving in and digging for a roland mpc one of these days.

All of it's gonna end up on the computer, derp but it still makes sense to be able to load sounds, without the computer.

Thank for the responses guys. I think you are right, I'm going to hold on the MPC Element and just do some more saving until I can get an actual MPC or a Maschine Mikro. The Mikro would be cool, but for whatever the reason I am a bit hung up on the MPC's. I will most likely look around my area for a secondhand or used one and if not just go get a new Maschine Mikro.

Back