What happens when I defrag my computer?

BeatBassBanger

What is defragging going to do too my computer? I want to free up RAM and other things, what can I expect? Will everything be erased?

If you're trying to speed your computer up then I'd check out CCleaner.

If your computer is relatively new (like <6 years) I'd recommend upgrading your OS to Windows 8 or wait a bit until Windows 10 has a stable release. If your hard drive is more than 90% full (go to my computer, right click, hit properties and check disk space) that also can slow your PC down

Hope this helps

Windows 8 is a flop. Stick with 7 until Windows 10 gets the thumbs up from demdatknow...

Defragging is good. Do it regular.

Windows 8 is a flop. Stick with 7 until Windows 10 gets the thumbs.

Yeah wait a few months then go to 10. 8 is awful.

And regards the videos, if you have loads of films then it could fragment the hdd. Small clips off a phone shouldn't hard

Also, apart from what has already been mentioned, keep your desktop clear at all times. Doing this will ensure your computer is most efficient at all times.

Holla @ me! :D

and there are different levels of disk defragging from daily to weekly to monthly and whether the disk is a system drive or a storage drive only (no OS on it)

I personally use MyDefrag v4.3.1 and mostly system monthly weekly and daily do a less stringent defrag

and I heartily third the recommendation to steer clear of win 8 - I have just moved to win 7 pro 64 (from xp pro sp3) because I know it is now stable and will remain so for the rest of its supported life - any issues I run itno will be 3rd party sw not M$ trying to kludge their way to yet another subscription victory

Back