What genre to stick to?

Coleman1

Coleman1
Hey guys, I've been producing for maybe 2-3 or so months now. My problem is that I'm unsure which genre to stick to and focus on, progressive house or big room house? It's been on my mind for a while now, and I love them both equally as much. I love the uplifting melodic drops from progressive house but simultaneously love bass heavy kicks with big drops from big room. And I feel like progressive house has died since big room has really taken over and although it's somewhat gotten criticised, it doesn't stop me from loving it, same with both. Right now, I feel like I should just be focusing on one with obviously experimenting here or there, but generally just focusing heavily on one. I don't know what to do?

Man I'll never stay with one genre. I lose interest in it. It's crazy to think your putting yourself in a box and that's it. Make it all i say.

But that's the thing, you think of those genres and the people who are famous from them. It's not often they actually go to even just another subgenre...

If you think you need to stick to one genre to become great at it you're wrong. A lot of people probably stick to their one genre because that's what people and labels have come to expect from them, not because they have no other interests.

Also a lot of people have different projects going under different name, creating different music with different people. So you might not even know it.

Some people are just one track ponies. :P

Last edited:
Yeah that's true. I know you have to follow your heart and do what's best but at the time time Yknow.. I wanna keep up with what's new, what's fresh, and be on top of making that, kinda. Which leads me to think that if I stick to one individual genre it really will help me rapidly improve

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. I really did mean do whatever you feel like doing, and if you feel that approach works better for you, and that's what you want to do, then that's what you should be doing.

It all depends on what area it is you feel like you need practice the most. I practice a lot of mixing and sound designing, so much that I sometimes forget that I'm in the middle of a track that doesn't get anywhere because I have too many different ideas that want to get in there. In a mixing and sound designing perspective I like to just start up a project and produce the sound in my head and build other (sometimes) random sounds around it while I play about with my synths and effects.

On the other hand, if you feel like you need to get better at producing an actual track and to make it sound more like some great track you heard then it might be better to just push through and write the actual track from start to finish.

But I also think that either approach works, the more quirky tracks I make, the more I can take all that seemingly incoherent information and put it into one neat package which is a track.

Even after all these years I feel like I'm still experimenting though.. And now I have gone into a rant. Over and out. :-)

Make any kind of music you want. All musical experience will help you on your journey because it is all related. If you are consistently being creative and trying new things, I don't see anything negative coming from that. It is all experience, and even if you don't think what your experimentation created is worthy of anyone listening to it, you can always apply the new knowledge you gained to a new track worthy of ears. It will sound way more interesting than if you just stuck to producing within the confines of one genre.
Does that make sense?

That does make a lot more sense. Like if you think of calvin harris, obviously his is much more commercial related but almost every song is that similar structure, but in a good way. He does it why? Because it legit always works. Idk if he does that in most songs because he actually really loves it or because he feels it just works well and that it will regardless be a hit because it sounds good. Yknow?

Same thing with martin garrix. He has very similar song structure in most songs but I don't blame him because it always works, that's why sometimes I feel like I should stick to one thing and focus a lot on that one thing.

Hey guys, I've been producing for maybe 2-3 or so months now. My problem is that I'm unsure which genre to stick to and focus on, progressive house or big room house? It's been on my mind for a while now, and I love them both equally as much. I love the uplifting melodic drops from progressive house but simultaneously love bass heavy kicks with big drops from big room. And I feel like progressive house has died since big room has really taken over and although it's somewhat gotten criticised, it doesn't stop me from loving it, same with both. Right now, I feel like I should just be focusing on one with obviously experimenting here or there, but generally just focusing heavily on one. I don't know what to do?

What is driving you to express your feelings the most? Genre = Music . Music = feelings.

We cannot give you an answer, you're the only one who knows where you should go.

Relax, listen to some music and probably at a sudden moment you'll know what to do ;)

Back