What genre is this/production tips?

Bandhi

Hi fellow producers!

I'm new to this forum but I hope that I'll enjoy my stay here.

I recently stumbled across this instrumental by THC (producer of several Kendrick Lamar, Nipsey Hussle and OverDoz tracks)
THC - "Now Dream" . - YouTube

I really dig this sound, and I mean REALLY!

Can anyone here, since I'm new to this kind of sound, give me a few tips how to achieve it? Like the filtering, synths, sampling, drums etc. Tutorials much appreciated too.

Any advice is much appreciated to be honest! :-)

- Sune

Last edited:
I guess you could call it 'cloud rap; , it's just a cool modern hip hop beat though , it doesn't fall under a specific genre.
I'd recommend sampling songs with female vocals and chopping different sections using slicex ( If you're a FL Studio user) or any sampler on your DAW and using a low pass filter but it's a pretty advanced technique, take your time.

I'd focus on beat making in general, there are many sounds and choices, it's better to stay focused on learning more skills instead of replicating a specific track, and then eventually you'll get to the point of being able to imitate specific things. So my advice would be to watch as many tutorials on beatmaking and production as possible. ( youtube is the best place to do that)

damn, that was hot, thanks for putting me up on that...Doesn't sound like a particular genre, just sounds like a regular hip hop beat he just has his own sound.....To do that I would say use edm/dubstep type sounds. Use the vst absynth, it has a lot of edm/dubstep sounds out of the box, if not you can take any synth and just mess with filters and whatnot...I think the main thing is the mix. Its a lot like Drunk in Love, where the drums and percussion sits on top and then the other instruments have a lot of reverb and maybe a low pass filter, and sit in the background...

Back