what to do with samples?

MessiahMarco

this might be in the wrong section, but i just need help with this. sometimes i find samples that i really like but then i dont know what to do with them. do you know what i mean? like i can hear sometime i like but i dont know whats the next step? also sometimes i would sample the song using my mpc. i chop up the sample but then i get stuck. anything i can do to stop this?

My opinion is, use better samples, ie: something with a better groove, better instrumentation of a better sounding quality.

Dilla once said "it's all about the sample".

If you listen to more music, and different genres on a regular basis, you'll ultimately find my inspiration along the way.

this might be in the wrong section, but i just need help with this. sometimes i find samples that i really like but then i dont know what to do with them. do you know what i mean? like i can hear sometime i like but i dont know whats the next step? also sometimes i would sample the song using my mpc. i chop up the sample but then i get stuck. anything i can do to stop this?

https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/production-techniques/sampling-and-digging/

Have a look at the stickys in this

I'm honestly not up on MPC workflow as I've never used one.
I sample into Maschine and the one thing I've found is that it's much easier to chop the sample if it's been truncated into as tight a loop as possible first.
Again, no idea on an MPC but on Maschine - After chopping my sample - the first thing I do is set polyphony on each pad (or each chop if you prefer) in that group to '1' and then set each pad to 'choke group' 1 as well.
I can (and often do) change the polyphony and choke group settings for a particular chop later but I find this a good starting point for the flip.

Again, never used an MP but assume the processes are at least similar across formats...

I teamed up with a producer who liked to make sampled beats for about 3 months...I told him he could keep the rights to the beats if he taught me what to do. At the time I could barely get my drums on beat, so I'm surprised he agreed.

You may be able to collab with someone on your beats to see what they would do with the samples, then try to emulate that workflow.

I find that chopping up samples, then creating 8 bar loops from those samples helps...then I just drop them in where I like to make the full beat. Finally I stick strings and horns and bass or whatever over it.

All you gotta do is feel it. Try to pick that loop and imagine what you could do with it. imagine the drums going and maybe a bassline. After this, you'll need to fit it on the bars, either by chopping or by stretching, that varies according to your workflow. Pick good samples, groovy remarkable loops.

Hope i could help

you don't know what to do with samples? you just need experience .. it's easy once you get the hang of it.. listen to other producers and listen to what they do..

Back