What is the difference between C major and A minor Keys ?

Akulli

i cant get over why did they even make minor keys ?
its like choose any Major key
and move it down by 3 semi tones and you will have a minor key which plays the exact same notes.
C major = A minor
D major = B minor
E F# G etc... it all has a minor key which plays the same exact notes.

one difference people say it has is, if the melody sticks near the D note, it will sound different
and if it stays near the B note, it will sound another way.
but we have all these notes...
it it stays near for example G note, it will also sound different.
so whats the point of having Major and minor keys ?

The root note in which the scale starts on. That's what makes the difference.

Last edited:
what if it starts on note B and stays on the key of (C Major/A Minor) ? and it stays equally between the two notes ?
how could you choose if the key of that song is C major or A minor ?
my question is clear.
Because a melody could start on any note within the key
Yet they only put names for 2 of the notes. it should either be all the notes or only one.because its not necessary to have two keys giving the same notes.

Last edited:
what if it starts on note B and stays on the key of (C Major/A Minor) ? and it stays equally between the two notes ?
how could you choose if the key of that song is C major or A minor ?
my question is clear.
Because a melody could start on any note within the key
Yet they only put names for 2 of the notes. it should either be all the notes or only one.because its not necessary to have two keys giving the same notes.

You're question actually isn't very clear as you seem to be using key and notes synonymously, but let me try to answer it and you can fine tune the question later.

What it sounds like you're asking if how do you know if you're in the key of Am or CM as both key signatures share the same exact notes.

If that is the question, the answer is based on where you take the song regardless of what note you start the melody on.

For an example. Let's say you start your melody using C, E, G

That opens the door to go many routes, you can place harmonizing chords and other melodies using the following scales

C Major
A minor
F Major
G Major
Eb Diminished

and so on.

There is a major and a minor because starting on the 6th note (or back a 3rd) makes the major sound sad so there had to be a way to distinguish that ie... minors

i will try to explain my question better.
if someone asks you: what notes are in the Key of C major ?
you would say
C D E F G A B

he says: ok, and what notes are in the key of A minor ?
you would say
A B C D E F G

and if he asks whats the difference ?
you would say
it sounds different when a melody is scaled up or down to the other.

thats clear till there.

now in my opinion. if a melody sounds sad. it will still sound sad no matter how you change the scale
and happy songs will sound happy no matter how you change the scale
but if we put my opinion aside and assume you are right.

why did they make C major and A minor ONLY ?
other scales also sound different than C major and A minor.

im saying:
there should either be ( Only one of them ) OR ( All of them ) why did they choose only those two notes ?
they could for example make ( B milor ) which also plays all the white keys but they made this cuz it sounds different to C major and A minor
( THERE IS NO [B MILOR] ITS JUST AN EXAMPLE THAT COULD BE MADE WHICH MAKES NO SENSE JUST LIKE [A MINOR] )
and it DOES sound different. every note sounds different.
and if we want to slice it down to smaller pieces to make it more complex cuz we can
Then every semi note on the piano should have a key of its own. because they all sound different.
so why did they choose only C and A to give names to ? ( on the same key )

i will try to explain my question better.
if someone asks you: what notes are in the Key of C major ?
you would say
C D E F G A B

he says: ok, and what notes are in the key of A minor ?
you would say
A B C D E F G

and if he asks whats the difference ?
you would say
it sounds different when a melody is scaled up or down to the other.

thats clear till there.

No, it makes a difference where the root position is, not simply scaled up or down.

now in my opinion. if a melody sounds sad. it will still sound sad no matter how you change the scale
and happy songs will sound happy no matter how you change the scale
but if we put my opinion aside and assume you are right.

No, it will not. It's not about changing the scale, the scale in this example is the same, what makes it sad is your root positioning, and how you go to and from it, that's what makes the difference.

why did they make C major and A minor ONLY ?
other scales also sound different than C major and A minor.

This question makes no sense, there isn't just C major and A minor

[
]im saying:[/B]
there should either be ( Only one of them ) OR ( All of them ) why did they choose only those two notes ?
they could for example make ( B milor ) which also plays all the white keys but they made this cuz it sounds different to C major and A minor
( THERE IS NO [B MILOR] ITS JUST AN EXAMPLE THAT COULD BE MADE WHICH MAKES NO SENSE JUST LIKE [A MINOR] )

I've explained this in my previous response to you. Your Bmilor example doesn't fly because it doesn't follow the formula used to create western major or minor scales. Thus, keeping it a a CM/Am scale. Now if you want to go deeper into theory we could dicuss modes in which B (all white keys ) would be B Locrian

and it DOES sound different. every note sounds different.
and if we want to slice it down to smaller pieces to make it more complex cuz we can
Then every semi note on the piano should have a key of its own. because they all sound different.
so why did they choose only C and A to give names to ? ( on the same key )[/B]

Yes, every note has it's own sound, but within a scale together they don't change tonality. Motion (where you take it) starting and end, will change tension.

Every semi tone does have it's own key

Last edited:
oh i didnt know,
if you dont mind can you fill this up V
or tell me where can i find them
A (all white keys) = Minor
B (all white keys) = Locrian
C (all white keys) = Major
D (all white keys) = ?
E (all white keys) = ?
F (all white keys) = ?
G (all white keys) = ?

oh i didnt know,
A (all white keys) = Minor
B (all white keys) = Locrian
C (all white keys) = Major
D (all white keys) = ?
E (all white keys) = ?
F (all white keys) = ?
G (all white keys) = ?

Dude.
Google modes of the major scale and fill it up yourself.
Also, what is your obsession with "all white keys"?

Dude.
Whats your obsession with being offended by everything?
i did google it but how am i supposed to know its called "modes of the major scale" ? i didnt find it. so i asked on this peaceful forum.
i just wanted all the white keys because i don't want to ask for every single scale
and they are the simplest.

Whats your obsession with being offended by everything?
i did google it but how am i supposed to know its called "modes of the major scale" ? i didnt find it. so i asked on this peaceful forum.
i just wanted all the white keys because i don't want to ask for every single scale
and they are the simplest.

Why are you so defensive?
You're welcome for the google search tip, btw.

The reason im being defensive is the same reason anyone would be defensive.
You cant bite someone and say "Dude why are you so defensive"
i know this is not a war but that was just an example.
because you pointlessly get offended by my questions and then talk with an attitude AND expect me not to be defensive.
Besides you wrote a useless and pointless post
if you didnt read that carefuly, i wrote "or tell me where i can find them"
why would i say that ? because i didn't find them myself.

Dude.
why is it your problem ?
i want to know all the white keys. cant you just not reply ?

Last edited:
The reason im being defensive is the same reason anyone would be defensive.
You cant bite someone and say "Dude why are you so defensive"
i know this is not a war but that was just an example.
because you pointlessly get offended by my questions and then talk with an attitude AND expect me not to be defensive.
Besides you wrote a useless and pointless post

if you didnt read that carefuly, i wrote "or tell me where i can find them"
why would i say that ? because i didn't find them myself.

why is it your problem ?
i want to know all the white keys. cant you just not reply ?
I did reply. Instead of telling me what you found so I could direct you better, you chose to point out how offended you were at my asking a rhetorical question (which is not an indication of offense, just a question you could have either answered or ignored)
Instead of policing the tone of my text, you should be asking me questions so I can help you. Unless you do not want me to help you, then...whatever.

I did reply. Instead of telling me what you found so I could direct you better, you chose to point out how offended you were at my asking a rhetorical question (which is not an indication of offense, just a question you could have either answered or ignored)
Instead of policing the tone of my text, you should be asking me questions so I can help you. Unless you do not want me to help you, then...whatever.
i can tell you didn't read that well.
and i do want any help. but i don't find your post in any way helpful.
even if there was the tiniest piece of useful information in your post, i wouldn't want it if the package also offers attitude.

Last edited:
i can tell you didn't read that well.
and i do want any help. but i don't find your post in any way helpful.
even if there was the tiniest piece of useful information in your post, i wouldn't want it with such attitude.
So basically, what you are really saying is "Waaaahhh, tawk to meeez nice way or I dunt wont yer halp"
But I'm the "offended" one? Mmmmmmmkkkkkaaaayyyy.

Last edited:
So basically, what you are really saying is "Waaaahhh, tawk to meeez nice way or I dunt wont yer halp"
But I'm the "offended" one? Mmmmmmmkkkkkaaaayyyy.
What are you talking about? i don't really understand the first line.
The fact is we both got offended otherwise this thread wouldn't have over 12 posts of argument.
But the difference is, You got offended because i don't know music theory.
And i got offended because you are talking with an attitude as if "oh im so much better than you i know music theory go google it cuz i don't want to help you"

What are you talking about? i don't really understand the first line.
The fact is we both got offended otherwise this thread wouldn't have over 12 posts of argument.
But the difference is, You got offended because i don't know music theory.
And i got offended because you are talking with an attitude as if "oh im so much better than you i know music theory go google it cuz i don't want to help you"
We "both"? When? Why would I (or anyone) be "offended" at you not knowing something? That sounds like projection. I ask rhetorical questions all the time. If anything, you should have asked for claification about about the question I was asking. But you did not. You chose to write telling me how you did not want my help because you were/are offended by the tone of my comments. Assuming I am/would be offended by anything you have to ask or say is like assuming that theory is a set of "rules".
How is asking a rhetorical question being "offended"?

Last edited:
We "both"? When? Why would I (or anyone) be "offended" at you not knowing something? That sounds like projection. I ask rhetorical questions all the time.
How is asking a rhetorical question being "offended"?

Dude.

well first of all you didn't have to tell me to google and fill it up myself because aint it clear that i cant find it ?
did i not write "where can i find it" ?
because i didn't know i have to google for "Modes of C Major scale"?
Whats so confusing about "Where can i find it" ?

And Don't tell me you were serious with that question.
obsession ? why would anyone be obsessed with white keys ?
i asked because i wanted to learn about the white keys.
you just pop out of no where telling me to google it.
and asking me why am i so obsessed with white keys.

Does that NOT sound like an offended person ?.

Last edited:
well first of all you didn't have to tell me to google and fill it up myself because aint it clear that i cant find it ?
did i not write "where can i find it" ?
because i didn't know i have to google for "Modes of C Major scale"?
Whats so confusing about "Where can i find it" ?

And Don't tell me you were serious with that question.
obsession ? why would anyone be obsessed with white keys ?
i asked because i wanted to learn about the white keys.
you just pop out of no where telling me to google it.
and asking me why am i so obsessed with white keys.

Does that NOT sound like an offended person ?
you cant simply deny something Written down and over 150 people read it already.
If I didn't tell you to google "modes of the major scale", you wouldn't have known what specific terms to google....which is why I did it, because you did not know it but I did and I wanted you to know it, too-you're welcome. The way this was supposed to go was you found the information I told you to search for, you come back and ask more questions for a better understanding, but you chose to fixate on my tone. Instead of asking more questions.

I was serious about my white keys question (albeit in a sardonic tone), all you had to do was either answer it or not. Did it really bother you that much? Guess so.
So, no I do not know where you would come to the conclusion that I was "offended" party in any way. For trying to help you, no less.

Last edited:
If I didn't tell you to google "modes of the major scale", you wouldn't have known what specific terms to google....which is why I did it, because you did not know it but I did and I wanted you to know it, too-you're welcome. The way this was supposed to go was you found the information I told you to search for, you come back and ask more questions for a better understanding, but you chose to fixate on my tone instead. Instead of asking more questions.

I was serious about my white keys question (albeit in a sardonic tone), all you had to do was either answer it or not. Did it really bother you that much? Guess so.
So, no I do not know where you would come to the conclusion that I was "offended" party in any way. For trying to help you, no less.
Well its just you then. cuz that does sound like an offended person. i wouldnt know why he is offended tho. but he is.
and as i said before.
"no matter how big of a wall 'o text, full of useful information you write in your post.
if at the end you nag and act with an attitude like you are better than me, its ( All x Zero ) and its better not there."

and did you really ask that question in a serious way ?
cuz you need mental help if so

Last edited:
Well its just you then. cuz that does sound like an offended person. i wouldnt know why he is offended tho. but he is.
and as i said before.
"no matter how big of a wall 'o text, full of useful information you write in your post.
if at the end you nag and act with an attitude like you are better than me, its ( All x Zero ) and its better not there."
That is called projection. So what you're saying is being offended and protecting your fragile ego is worth more than knowledge?

Back