What did you do with beats, when you first started out?

Myrical Lyfe

I just switched my style up, and pretty much "found my lane". But a big thing for me, is not sitting on a beat for to long, and getting frustrated. So what should I, or what did you do with the beats you made in that time? I wanna share them, for feedback, but feel like theres no real gain in that. Or am I wrong?

I don't really know.. On one hand it's nice to get feedback, to actually hear someone else put words on what you're already thinking or point out something you don't.

On the other hand I remember very clearly putting tracks up for people to criticise but I had a bit of a problem taking it in and actually do something with it. I read the comments, and I heard the issues just didn't know what to do about it, and all that came to me in my own time anyway at some point.

from 2010 all the way up to 2014 I just did anything lol. Literally just anything then after a while it got kinda old just doing anything so I made slightly less random stuff not sure what else to say, just happened like that.

The beats I made before I solidified my sound are history. I have them, but I don't even consider selling or airing them anywhere. I can tell you all the criticisms without seeking feedback - bad mix, bad sound design, bad arrangements, etc.

Put your name on what you think is your best work. Nothing less. Move on from those starter beats, and keep looking forward.

The beats I made before I solidified my sound are history. I have them, but I don't even consider selling or airing them anywhere. I can tell you all the criticisms without seeking feedback - bad mix, bad sound design, bad arrangements, etc.

Put your name on what you think is your best work. Nothing less. Move on from those starter beats, and keep looking forward.

So basically stop what Im doing and just keep pumping out beats until I blow myself away lol.

I guess what Im looking for has been answered.

My plan, essentially keep making beats until I hit that "one". And hit that "stride". Then get about 10-15 beats and make a EP or 2, of QUALITY music, and start promoting that. No more rush uploads to Soundcloud.

I just switched my style up, and pretty much "found my lane". But a big thing for me, is not sitting on a beat for to long, and getting frustrated. So what should I, or what did you do with the beats you made in that time? I wanna share them, for feedback, but feel like theres no real gain in that. Or am I wrong?

force yourself to finish it off and move on to the next track.. do that..

I have/had a thing where I would start on a beat, get stuck, then work on another one. Only to go back a month later and either delete it or finish it. So I had A LOT of incomplete beats. As far as criticism it's always good for knowing your strengths and weaknesses. So my best advice is to kick out as many ideas as they come and focus more on completing them over time. Cuz once you step away for a min and come back you'll have more ideas for the same beat.

Get your soundcloud set up...
if you have lots of beats in the back catalogue that you 'want to share' then set yourself an upload schedule... Upload in historical order and link to each beat through all your social media networks...
is you have masses of back catalogue upload 3 a week to start and gradually slow your pace. So that you even when still working a beat you always have a handful (they might be a month or 2 old but always describe them as 'brand new') to upload first...

Keep them, and look back at them in the future to see how much you've progressed

I keep all my sessions backed up regardless of importance. Everything was an idea at some time and if I'm ever drawing blanks in the future I can just flip through hundreds of sessions. Even though some of them only might be an 8 bar loop, they were all stemming from personal ideas so as long as you use your producer head to look past the lack of production in the session it might be a good idea sparker. So if they gave me an idea then theres a chance they might give me an idea now. Plus its not like they're taking up space. They're starting to get pretty unorganized though, anyone reading this id recommend start sorting all your sessions in folders by month if you start a lot of new ones..it'll save you having to do it later when you have a ton of random sessions with meaningless names because you just started something based on a motif in your head and had no idea for a name..

If they're quality beats keep them. Offer them to people for sale or leasing. If it's not a sound you explore anymore than there is no reason to ask for feedback on em. But they still have value.

switch up the melody or drums, sometimes i usually go back to these beats later. i have beats i made in 2013 and came back to 2015 and finished them. Whenever i feel the block, i just save it, then move onto another beat. Unless, im completely not feeling it (heads not bobbing.) then i trash it.

Just my advice you can take it or leave it......

Make goals for yourself. Meaning is this just a hobby or are you looking to sell tracks in the future?
Do you want to also get into engineering? If so, sound engineering is another whole ball park outside of producing.
Do you want to be the next Kanye (produce and rap)?

The point being, come up with a goal or goals and work towards that. What it does is make you become more organized and focused.
It worked for me. I reached my first goal I made for myself within 60 days of me being a producer and have continued ever since then.
It keeps it fun, it pays well and Im always focused and setting up my next move.

Last edited:
When I first started making beats I only let family hear them. It wasn't until I was confident that I start branching out to let the public hear it.

Back