What DAWs should I use if I am trying to make Boom Bap beats?

Maschine is your best option if you want to limit yourself to some boom bap beats.

What does the limit part mean?
Like you can't make other styles of rap music on Maschine?
Or other genres of music?
Or...only Beatz and not full songs?
And the "some boom bap beats" sounds condescending. Maybe I'm reading you wrong.

You are reading me wrong, you're digging into a sentence like you're trying to find water. You could answer everyone of those questions yourself if you stop insinuating. Maschine is simple and straightforward, it caters to simplicity. If you want to exclusively work on boom bap beats, Maschine is your best option. It's a Groove Production Studio not a Digital Audio Workstation, it's a groovebox instrument.

If you want to exclusively work on boom bap beats, Maschine is your best option.

What if I DO NOT want to make exclusively boom bap beats?
That's the question that I can answer and I am asking your opinion and clarity about exactly that.

Here, I'll make this easier for you to read.
You said:

Maschine is your best option if you want to limit yourself to some boom bap beats
If you want to exclusively work on boom bap beats

I made the words I'm looking at thoughtfully in rather big print.
I think anyone reading this doesn't have to work hard at reading into or getting the point.

All the other stuff around that I wholeheartedly agree with.

In other words I BELIEVE Maschine is not in any way limiting his creativity or potential and he himself is not limited if all he wants to do is exclusively make boom bap beats.
So yeah, I think those two sentences are absolutely wrong.

If you want to exclusively work on boom bap beats, Maschine is your best option.

That's the question that I can answer and I am asking your opinion and clarity about exactly that.

You said:

Maschine is your best option if you want to limit yourself to some boom bap beats

I think anyone reading this doesn't have to work hard at reading into or getting the point.

In other words I BELIEVE Maschine is not in any way limiting his creativity or potential and he himself is not limited if all he wants to do is exclusively make boom bap beats.

So are you looking for advice on Maschine yourself, or are you intentionally being clueless to the fact that the OP asked a question in regards to boom bap style beats in general. You seem to be misinterpreting the word "limit", he asked about creating that style specifically and that's what "limit" pertains to. Nobody said Maschine was going to limit his creativity nor did anyone say that he is limited to solely creating any specific genre in Maschine.

All I'm getting from you is that you got offended by your misinterpretation of what I said.

You said:

No disrespect meant, but it seems as though you might be misinterpreting what the guy is saying.

You seem to be thinking that he's saying,
"Maschine is only good at Boom Bap beats",

when what he's actually saying is,
"If the only thing you want to do is Boom Bap beats, Maschine is a great option for that".

Obviously, you'd agree that there are some things that Maschine isn't good at.
I would hate to use Maschine to mix a client's tracked-out song with 100+ stems! By contrast, this wouldn't be as big a deal with a traditional DAW like Pro Tools, and you'd still be able to make a boom-bap beat with Pro Tools (although its paradigm isn't particularly geared for that).

I can see how you'd want to defend Maschine, I love mine too! :D

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
This topic's pretty hard.There is an endless amount of options and choices.The real question's more along the lines of which one is the most comfortable one to you?Which one looks easiest for you :/

For me the process is fairly straightforward in reason and fl.for you it be completely different depending on what you're expectin in the long run.

DAW's don't correlate the the genre of music you want to make bro.

You don't change your hammer based on the colour of the nail your hitting

DAW's don't correlate the the genre of music you want to make bro.

You don't change your hammer based on the colour of the nail your hitting

I disagree.

For example:

Some genres (i.e., Dubstep) make heavy use of patterned automation.
FL Studio, which was designed with an EDM paradigm, makes this step of the workflow easy.
Trying to make Dubstep in some other DAWs isn't like trying to hammer a different color of nail; rather, it's more like trying to hammer in a screw with a high thread count... into solid wood.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Any DAW. Use one you're comfortable with. For me, that would be Logic Pro X although others would disagree.

Personally i'd use Reason because you can get some really cool grooves and shuffles in the drum patterns but i haven't tried using any other DAWs for drums yet so yeah. Anyway i hope this helps

Everybody has their opinion which is fine but some DAWs will be favored by the majority of producers/musicians of a certain genres. For instance, many young trap beatmakers love working with FL Studio where as smooth jazz musicians may prefer to use a DAW like Cubase or Sonar. Download the demo versions of the major DAWs and feel them out for yourself.

Any DAW will work bro. Just make sure to adjust the swing function so your drums sounds realistic. There are are even bitcrusher VST's to make your beats sound like they were made off a SP1200. My last few beats had that feel. I use FL Studio.

Last edited:
Back