What DAWs should I use if I am trying to make Boom Bap beats?

The only DAW im familiar with is Ableton Live 8 Suite.

ABleton LIve 8 Suite effects aren't "happy" sounding. Their instruments aren't that cool either. But their effects are neat and clean and transparent and work well with other "aftermarket" effects like Waves for instance.

ABleton Live is really great for doing Live shows and excels well at that. Hence it's called "LIVE".

My guess is if you just want a DAW and not any other aftermarket stuff is this: Cakewalk or Cubase.

Both have a fun looking atmosphere and seems to have cool effects on their demos.

But when it comes to Live performance and tranpararent sounds with a custom color changeable background Live 8 is legit on that too.

Peace out homie.

All daws are capable of doing 99% of the same things but in different ways, that 1% can be accounted for by 3rd party VSTs or altered techniques.

Try a couple daws (I would start with Reaper since its free), then pick the daw that best suits your workflow.

As already said, any DAW can do the trick. I'd also suggest looking on youtube for vids showing how techniques you're interested in doing can be done on the DAW you have in mind. Every DAW's different, and has different ways to get final results.

If you plan to do boom bap, you may want to look into how sampling is done, and how drum patterns can be created and manipulated in any DAWs you're considering.

Go on to youtube n look at daw overviews or tutorials....
In no particular order....
-Fl studio
-Reason
-Live
-Cubase
-Reaper
-Cakewalk
-Maschine (daw)

By no means am I saying any DAW is the "answer for all", but I've seen a few vids of Bitwig in action, it's gonna fall on the producer more than the software, but I'm liking the stuff I'm hearing coming out of it.

I'd go with one of:

- Maschine
- FL Studio
- Reason
- Live.

In that order.

Each of these is intended for creating electronic music from scratch on your computer.

Other DAWs (Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase, REAPER, DP, etc.) can definitely do the same thing, but it's not their focus,
so it won't be quite as simple and straightforward. These DAWs are better suited to manipulating recorded multitrack audio.

-Ki
Salem Beats

I'd go with one of:

- Maschine
- FL Studio
- Reason
- Live.

In that order.

Each of these is intended for creating electronic music from scratch on your computer.

Other DAWs (Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase, REAPER, DP, etc.) can definitely do the same thing, but it's not their focus,
so it won't be quite as simple and straightforward. These DAWs are better suited to manipulating recorded multitrack audio.

-Ki
Salem Beats
Logic IMO is more straightforward than fl studio. There is no pattern/playlist hassle, you just record straight onto a track

From what I've seen, esx is equivalent to kontakt, machfive, nnxt, ect. I need the ability to edit a song file into a few loops, time stretch and pitch shift to a set song bpm. Those are more audio clip functions. Everything from pro tools to reason to fl suggest ways to do this in synth samplers, but I always pass these up for the audio clip editor. People will try to tell you how without understanding completely what you do. I'm not the only guy who samples from audio files by chopping and time stretching/pitch shifting, from what I've gathered, this cannot be done with an audio clip view(like youd see editing vocals)within logic. Correct me if I'm wrong, but esx isn't the answer like kontakt, machfive, nnxt, ect. to my knowledge.

You're also going to need destructive audio editing functions.

Last edited:
From what I've seen, esx is equivalent to kontakt, machfive, nnxt, ect. I need the ability to edit a song file into a few loops, time stretch and pitch shift to a set song bpm. Those are more audio clip functions. Everything from pro tools to reason to fl suggest ways to do this in synth samplers, but I always pass these up for the audio clip editor. People will try to tell you how without understanding completely what you do. I'm not the only guy who samples from audio files by chopping and time stretching/pitch shifting, from what I've gathered, this cannot be done with an audio clip view(like youd see editing vocals)within logic. Correct me if I'm wrong, but esx isn't the answer like kontakt, machfive, nnxt, ect. to my knowledge.

You're also going to need destructive audio editing functions.
i dont sample too much but this video might help. You time stretch and shift pitch outisde of esx. The esx is mainly used to record your chops that youve created (just drag the chops into the esx browser).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo59kqhBQh8

once again, im not heavy into sampling so i probably am not understanding your question fully. i think that vid should help tho

edit: sorry dont know how to embed youtube

Last edited:
Maschine is your best option if you want to limit yourself to some boom bap beats. Maschine is straight forward, not too complex, and coupled with a Maschine controller you're going to be able to do just what you want to do. Drumsynth is the sh*t, you'll get used to making all of your drums sounds. Also, sampling in Maschine is good once you get the hang of it.

A second option would be FL Studio if you just want to punch everything into the Step Sequencer and throw down some quick patterns. It comes with Drumpad so you can also use that to create your own unique drums sounds.

Want twice the power? Get them both.

Maschine is your best option if you want to limit yourself to some boom bap beats.

What does the limit part mean?
Like you can't make other styles of rap music on Maschine?
Or other genres of music?
Or...only Beatz and not full songs?
And the "some boom bap beats" sounds condescending. Maybe I'm reading you wrong.

Back