What daw?

kid_kirch

I am interested in many genres, mainly hip hop and chill though. It'd be nice to have kind of an all around daw. I have access to pretty much any daw except for logic as I use a pc

What exactly do you mean you have "access" to pretty much any daw? If you truly do then why don't you try them out and see for yourself?

Daws are already all-rounders that's why they're daws lol.
That question though, your choice. Research all the ones that interest you and decide.

Of course you have access to them all. All companies let you download a demo version of their DAWs to help you decide if you like and BUY them.

I've setted on Ableton after trying a few, but that is really personal preference. A lot of the more technical DAWs require time to fully understand how to use it and get the most out of it. I'd try a few out and make a few different arrangments on each to see how it works in relation to your style of music.

I think if you want to produce hip hop, Ableton should be one of the front runners, only because of it's great looping/time stretching features. The only exception would be if you had an MPC, and just needed something to dump your MPC sounds into.

I'd also add, Intua Beatmaker 2 for the iphone if you happen to take public transportation at all. Some of my most creative moments are when riding the subway or bus.

This is a never ending discussion I guess. To be honest, I use Cubase, Logic AND Ableton. Cubase, just because it's Cubase. I think it works great and it's different than others. I use Logic for more acoustic tracks (less electronic) but it's quite slow. Ableton is great on many points and I usually use it for remixes, making my mixes for shows, mashups etc.

if you go PC then its FL studio no question.
Or pro tools, or reason, or logic, or maschine, or...
Don't let yourself be fooled by all of our own subjective choices.
Some went with what they thought was best and stayed with that choice, no matter if that was/is the right choice for our workflow
Some carefully weighed a few choices and picked what we liked best
The bigger DAWs are all a bit in the same ball park and all have their own qualities.
Watch some youtubes about different picks of DAWs, take a look at their websites and take a look at pictures of how the DAW looks, make a pick, download a demo, try it out a little together with some beginner tutorials on your first steps in that DAW. You could do that with one DAW and decide it works for you , stick with it, or you can do that for a few contenders and make a weighed choice. Don't break your head too long though and pick all of em and play with every demo for weeks and weeks. Unless you'd really like that :D

FL, or Tracktion are my go to programs.
Been using both for years, so if it's not broke don't fix it.

FL is for beat makers. I think other daws like Logic & pro tools are better for song production

I guess that's just a common misconception coming from the old reputation it had when it was under the name Fruity Loops?

But I can tell you without a bit of doubt and from experience, FL is just as much for song production as is Logic, Pro Tools, Ableton, etc.

I guess that's just a common misconception coming from the old reputation it had when it was under the name Fruity Loops?

But I can tell you without a bit of doubt and from experience, FL is just as much for song production as is Logic, Pro Tools, Ableton, etc.
Never really used Fl... just heard its not as good when it comes to recoding instruments, vocals, mixing, etc

Back