What is the BPM for electronic trap music?

Megashark

I have read it is somewhere between 145 and 170 bpm but I was listening to Flosstradamus and his beats aren't nearly that fast.

Thanks!

Probably because of its recent fusion with dubstep, it seems the figure of 145 - 170bpm is based on counting the beat off in double-time.

As in, counting it "1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4," with the snare on beat 3. This would give a figure probably around 130 - 170.
But if you count it as "1...2...3...4..." you'll get a figure of 65 - 85bpm.

Just like any other genre, its all up to preference. Like a few other people stated, usually between 130-175ish

realistically trap music is just dance inspired southern hip hop, therefore id be making it between 80 and 110 bpm. you wanna get a slow tempo crammed with fast hat rolls and poppy snares. so double time your hats over an 80 to 90bpm beat and space the kicks half time.. also check this out, go on youtube and type in "how to make a lex luger/808 mafia trap beat" theres heaps of tutes.

like someone said, it can be any bpm...slower usually means darker...most of 2chainz beats start at 120 bpm...and trap isnt determined by bpm, its about what instruments are used; pitched 808's, timing varied drums/hats, plucks, arps, etc... this is a 2chainz type beat i made, bpm is 120 if i remember correctly

BPM is not something you should be paying too much attention, even though you shouldn't forget about it at all.

I don't produce trap, so I can't tell you what BPM the average trap song have. Even though, I can say that in dubstep, the average tempo of the music is 130-140BPM. But I managed to make one song with a tempo of 150BPM. Also, I produced one Drum and Bass remix song with a tempo of 190BPM, being the average tempo 150-175BPM. It's all up to you.

When you count a song your first 2 snares hits are always 2 & 4 in the 1 2 3 4 count. If you some how count to 8 only on 2 snare hits, you are counting to fast. The snares determine the speed of the song.

You can double time. Some will take hip hop acapellas around 70bpm. Make a beat at 140 and the two will mix. But the song is now 140bpm not 70bpm b/c the beat is 140bpm.

And musician who reads music or understands timing will agree that the snares decide your tempo.

I have to take exception to your statement that there are two snares per bar in song or that in general the snares are the indicator of the tempo - I have been a musician since 1977 and reading music since 1977.

If I am in 3/4 then there are only 3 beats and maybe only 1 snare

If I am in 6/8 there are only 2 beats and only 1 snare

If I am playing one-drop style in reggae, then there are 4 beats but only one snare

A better way to count is to count accented hi-hats - you can usually get to 8 in 4/4 (there might be some off-8th hits at the 16th or triplet 16th, but these will only serve to reinforce the count of 4 beats than deny it)

Get a tempo app for you smartphone
Tap the finger on the screen every time you hear a kick drum (EDM)
Read the BPM on the display

done

typically 130-150 but it doesn't NEED to be in that range.

I don't make much trap but I work with the 80-159 range. anything else can be doubled or halved.

Last edited:
Trap

I have read it is somewhere between 145 and 170 bpm but I was listening to Flosstradamus and his beats aren't nearly that fast.

Thanks!

Tbh it doesnt matter at all... 80 is half of 160, so in a way if you even do 70 - 90 it wont matter, but ive even done 100 bpm trap tracks, really doesn't matter, its what the vibe you are feeling

Back