What is best way to learn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidJofficial

I want to ask you guys, how do you learn to create music? how mutch time its take and what method you use?
personaly i am start about two years ago but i just messing with a program (fl studio) 1 time in weak or sometimes atleast 1time in month but now i step up and start to learning every single day for about 2 - 4hours. but i dont know how to practice good. i just messing in program and dont do anything good.And what speed u using? i am 128 i think its or house as in tutorials i heard they said. So how should i practice?

sory for my bad english :D

Last edited:
I want to ask you guys, how do you learn to create music? how mutch time its take and what method you use?
1. Learned some instruments-piano and guitar specifically.
2. Been at it since 2010
3. How much time? Depends on what your musical goals are. Mine is to be able to communicate musically in any setting and to be able to easily translate my ideas into sound. The method I use is PRACTICE and LISTENING (under the guidance of an instructor)

DavidJ,

EQ is a tone control plugin. Like the bass and treble controls on a stereo or in your car. The primary use is to fix problems. Maybe there is too much high frequency content in your sound making it sound bright and harsh, so you can add an EQ to lower the highs to make it sound right.

One dial for treble and one for bass is very simple. Five dials or faders is more complex. 31 faders is very complex and popular with mid-range installations. Those are examples of "graphic" equalizers, giving you options but not much flexibility. A "parametric" equalizer gives you greater flexibility, but it is more complicated and takes a little longer to learn. Most audio engineers prefer parametric.

Put a song you like in FL Studio. One with lows and highs from a full band. Add an EQ and just mess with it, so you can hear what it does. When I learn a new plugin, the first thing I do to understand it is crank the settings super hard. I abuse it to know what it does. Then I dial it in for moderate settings now that I know what it does.

As for time, it depends what your goals are. Last year, I practiced mixing and creating songs about 3-4 hours a week. I was slowly improving. The year before, I was buying expensive gear and reading a lot online, but maybe only spending 3 hours a month actually working. I was improving very slowly.

This year, my goal is to quit my job to make music my job. I expect to work on it 6 hours a day. I expect to improve very quickly over the first few months.

I have two strategies for learning. Homework assignments, you might say.

1) Pick a song that you like, and that you technically have the tools and instruments to create even if you don't know how. Then try to recreate that song on your computer. It teaches you how to make sounds you didn't know how to make. I did this with Coldplay, Keane, Drake, Jhene Aiko, Pink, Lykke Li, etc. Now I know how to make a lot of different styles of music.

2) Make a whole bunch of songs yourself. Get them 80-90% perfect, then start a new one. (You'll never be able to make them truly perfect, so consider them as practice songs.) Songwriting and poetry aren't just given to some people and not others. They are skills. Skills that need to be practiced. Your first poem would suck. And your tenth. Maybe your 30th is okay, your 80th is pretty good, and your 200th poem is super good. Songs are the same way. Just make more and more and more music and you will get better.

Spend 80% of your time making music, and only 20% looking for help and tutorials to learn to make better music. If you need to buy gear or instruments, do your research. But gear doesn't make a popular song. So buy the gear you need, then go back to 80/20.

write up a list of things you want to learn then research them and learn/practice them one by one, after that make out another list and repeat the process. apply anything you do learn into your music when possible.

Pumpthrust,

How did you find an instructor? Is it a paid thing or more of a mentorship?

I pay him. $200 a month (four $50 one-hour lessons a month). I found him by word of mouth-people kept telling me to that he is one of the best jazz guitarists and teachers in the city. I peeped some of his performances (he plays several weekly gigs with a vocalist), worked with him at jazz camp, then chose him as my teacher.
Now, some clown is gonna read that and be like, "Urrrr, why you pay too much for guitar lessons-why you no use Youtube 'n' Google?" Well, first off 1) Those aren't necessarily guitar lessons. I already knew how to play the guitar-just not good enough to play jazz 2) Learning to play jazz is waaaaaaaaayyyyyy more than learning a few pentatonic riffs and open chords off youtube. You are literally learning the language and discipline of music. and 3) To learn to play jazz, my options were to either a. pay $120k for four years of college (which definitely has it's benefits) or b. pay $9600 for real-life lessons with a working jazz pro and bust my ass practicing between work for four years.

Good reasons, Pumpthrust.

I'm hoping to find someone to mentor me on my music production, branding, general development, etc. But I suppose that anyone worth having a mentor is too busy to be willing.

For what it's worth, I heard that reading 80 books is equivalent to one mentoring relationship. There's always that.

I personally learned by trial and error. Alot of experimentation then look for reference material on youtube. It takes alot of time to learn on your own but I feel you are then more apt to ''think outside the box''. Then again I am at a measly intermediate level. There are probably other options. I am considering proper education on sound production.

Honestly, I agree. The best thing I ever did was start with piano. It's really learning music theory, once you are good at this, you can pick up any other instrument out there and be able to play it decent.

1. Learned some instruments-piano and guitar specifically.
2. Been at it since 2010
3. How much time? Depends on what your musical goals are. Mine is to be able to communicate musically in any setting and to be able to easily translate my ideas into sound. The method I use is PRACTICE and LISTENING (under the guidance of an instructor)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back