What is the best school to attend for beat making/producing?

demak_dadi

I was told about SAE, and I looked into it as it seems cool and everything, but are there any others around the Florida or southern part of the U.S. the are highly ranked as top notch in the industry?

I don't believe there are any specific schools that will teach you how to make "beats" or teach you how to produce. Schools like SAE are there to teach you an understanding of audio engineering. For you to learn how to compose an instrumental that will take an understanding of music and some instruments. You can always take lessons in guitar, piano, or drums to help you on that end. Hope that helps. Peace and blessings.

Yeah I learned a ton on FP! Pretty much a good 90% of what I know (which is not that much but I've been at this for 10months) has come from just reading peoples' posts. Do alot of reading. I spent a few months just reading books and stuff on the internet before I even touched any programs or hardware. I still need to work on the musical side of things and getting my timing and creativity down but having knowledge from reading and understanding the vocabulary when reading manuals has helped me troubleshoot alot without having to rely on help from other people. It also puts you in "the know" when buying gear and software and putting together a set-up that works for you.

SAE: THe EMP program seemed kind of intersting and appealing to me at first. But definitely not worth what they charge. When i took a tour of SAE, the dude who was conducting the Q&A session for EMP just made the program seem like it would an instructor (somtimes a random instructor week by week) who you would bounce questions off of and he would show you random things or things that you are interested in. You could do the same thing for free just by interning at a studio or hanging out with people who are into this and of course asking questions on FP (cept not as hands on).

But in the end its up to you, not everyone has access to studios and knowledgeable people. And most people benefit from getting the hands-on experience of having someone show you things. I would've taken the EMP program but they charge around $3,000 for 24 weeks of courses, I find that just ridiculous. I would probably pay a few hundred for a program like that but thats it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trust me...YOU DON'T WANT NOBODY TELLING YOU "HOW" TO MAKE BEATS...

Producing is a different story...

Like ^^^ said, most school will come at you with the AUDIO ENGINEERING stuff...which looks good on paper, but they can't teach you EVERYTHING...

I think reading A LOT OF SOFTWARE BOOKS is important, along with MIXING, MASTERING, AND ENGINEERING BOOKS...put in your hours on this site and others, and also talk to consultants when you can...IMHO...

niggi no 1 can teach u how to make a beat!
that shyt comes from ur mind kid.. they can show u how to make shyt sound like good quality nd shyt but besides that nah.. just rea fp.. or like dude said join the university lmao

emsiwun said:
Trust me...YOU DON'T WANT NOBODY TELLING YOU "HOW" TO MAKE BEATS...

Producing is a different story...

Like ^^^ said, most school will come at you with the AUDIO ENGINEERING stuff...which looks good on paper, but they can't teach you EVERYTHING...

I think reading A LOT OF SOFTWARE BOOKS is important, along with MIXING, MASTERING, AND ENGINEERING BOOKS...put in your hours on this site and others, and also talk to consultants when you can...IMHO...

Agreed....

You really can't teach someone how to produce good music, but also you can have 400hrs of "classroom and book training", but at the end of the day, you still need hands on experience. If you have a stong musical foundation then the music part should be cake.

The technical part is up to you and how you like to learn. Interning at a studio, hooking up with a friend, going to school; whatever is best for you. Engineering schools don't teach the music aspect of production(because you're suppose to know that already).

Last edited by a moderator:
Berklee College of Music supposedly has a great program. I've heard good and bad about Full Sail, but that's up to your own reading and discovery. I will just say that I wouldn't attend Full Sail after what I've researched.

Like other's were saying, these schools will not teach you how to train your mind to create a beat, but they will teach you how to turn a basic track into an industry level track. It is great for paper, business and learning new equipment, but as far as making hits... that comes from your creativeness which is something that I don't believe that anyone can teach you.

SAE is a joke. Wish them good luck on fishing enough fools to train into nothing than pushing faders. *bunch of morons. rant and stuff*

Last edited:
univerisity of miami has a great music program. you should find out what you like second best to music then major in that and minor in music.

neverenoughfunk said:
univerisity of miami has a great music program. you should find out what you like second best to music then major in that and minor in music.
yeah. Major in music. lol ähem.
Art is... fCk it... you're all right

Last edited:
What will most likely happen to someone who majors in music is the same thing that happens to people who major in something like Art, Art history, photography, or any other type of useless degree. They'll end up an officer in the military because they find out that it's the only way to make more money than in the career of the path that they chose.

SilentKillah said:
What will most likely happen to someone who majors in music is the same thing that happens to people who major in something like Art, Art history, photography, or any other type of useless degree. They'll end up an officer in the military because they find out that it's the only way to make more money than in the career of the path that they chose.

Useless degree :D ... Argh. It's sad that the "usefulness" of something as profound as the cultural heritage of our world is reduced into comments like this.

But an officer in the military? I didn't see that one coming. Has never crossed my mind.

Didn't read anything. But the best school is your own curiosity
If there's not any one present... Think it all over again.
Do you want to do it for the fun of it?
Or for the fame?
think again

Last edited:
Guenon said:
And the best meal is your own hunger?

Only if you manage to find some food, too ;)
I'm hungry. Let's get some tacco. ^^ (Mr. White)
reservoir%20dogs.jpg

dunno how you can keep this calm Guenon. really

Last edited:
Back