What is the best school to attend for beat making/producing?

Guenon said:
Useless degree :D ... Argh. It's sad that the "usefulness" of something as profound as the cultural heritage of our world is reduced into comments like this.

But an officer in the military? I didn't see that one coming. Has never crossed my mind.

Good point. The United States really invests absolutely no money in preserving culture. Of course you could always move to France.

Yeah that officer in the military comment came way outta left field my friend. Never heard of that before. Just because you major in something doesn't mean you will do it as a career when you grow up. It doesn't really matter all that much what you major in. Business and money related majors are obviously the most "practical" ones but you don't have to major in business in order to work with money. Also there are alot of people who just major in business on a whim and have no real passion working for big corporate firms. I have friends who majored in business and have "good" jobs and make money but are miserable.

Plus there's always grad school.

Hey everyone! How's it going? I couldn't afford to pay over 30k for schooling. Tired of looking hard and thinking smart.

The answer to the question is Recording Connections. Today I am live'n my dream because of them. I get so many emails and I am finding that people are still tryin to make it 'Big.'

Well, If you are like me 'trying to make it' isn't who I am. Anyways, there is this program out there called Recording Connection at recordingconnection.com Do what I did and learn in private classes from someone in the industry. Work in the industry in the area you want trained in from someone you admire. Make 200% more connections for future gigs.

Let me know any of your thoughts. And if I am getting through to ya?

It worked for me, it'll work for you. And find me on myspace.com/vivid_music

for beatmaking/producing... the school of hard knocks

never pay a school to learn beatmaking. they're mostly for engineering, music business, or straight up music conservatory type schools. if that interests you than research and call around for former alumni and such but if it's to learn how to make beats or produce someone, save and learn by trial and error

Check out Berklee. A mistake that alot of would be beatmakers/producers make is not learning and understanding music!
The great producers of our time all know and understand music, they play intstruments, they just don't stumble upon chords and melodies.
Pharell, Storch, JR , Quincy Jones, and many more. If you don't understand what you're doing, then you will be very limited in your production. Maybe check out taking some piano lessons to start to build up your chops

7thangel said:
for beatmaking/producing... the school of hard knocks

never pay a school to learn beatmaking. they're mostly for engineering, music business, or straight up music conservatory type schools. if that interests you than research and call around for former alumni and such but if it's to learn how to make beats or produce someone, save and learn by trial and error

Agree completely!
The first time I heard about people going to school to make beats, I scratched my head.:confused:

Taking a piano lennon=usefull in some situations.
Paying thousands to learn to make beats=waste of time, and cash.

Last edited:
Mattman04 said:
Agree completely!
The first time I heard about people going to school to make beats, I scratched my head.:confused:

Taking a piano lennon=usefull in some situations.
Paying thousands to learn to make beats=waste of time, and cash.
Agreed.

Middle Tennessee State University is up there with the best in the country. I'm going to MTSU now and get charged in state fees although I'm out of state. Its called the academic common market. The school is know for its audio engineering and mass comm department. I'm saving a whole lot of money doing this. It's a great school. Do some research on it. It was enough to convince me to come here. I was looking into Full Sail real heard but I head too many bad things about it and was warned to stay away by 80% of the people I spoke to. I visited a couple of years ago and its a nice a$$ school but I was told you wont get the best music education there. With MT you get the full college experience along with the great audio program. I'm a sophmore here now and am lovin it.

take a music theory class at a community college, and learn your scales and chords. Once you accomplished that, spend some real money on some equipment. Get the latest **** thats out.

Spend time on it, learn the technique ****. The in's and out's of it, and when I mean spend time. I mean spend hours on end making 1 beat. I'm sure if you do this everyday for years, in a bout 5 years you will be hot.

spend some money on some good equipment

Get In Now

Schools are all over.

Second. Apprenticeship training has been around for centuries. It works. And either you can catch onto something or you can't. But most people can.

You can learn in any state you want to. That's what makes this so cool any number of places are going to stick you behind a desk, ask you to read a book and study everything (cost 40-110k). Here, you learn and get trained only in the area you want in the state you want to.

Recording Connection has been behind for 23 years. It has grown in leaps and bounds. So it works. It has a success rate is 70%. I don't know that my cousins or sister or brothers could say the same with their schools. In fact I know some are lower than that.

If you're supper concerned about learning a beat or you don't have you have talent or ability. . . Then go into another area. You can choose from a bunch.

BTW, My biggest suggestion would be to do what my friend Spencer did. He got into Recording Connection got hired within in the year (by one of the best studios out there). Now he goes to school part-time cause he can and he wants that firm degree for a back up. He's got kids and his life motto is 'You can never be too safe'. He says, "I'd rather have a back-up plan or a plan B. I'm sure glad plan A worked out, though. Not everyone is so lucky."

recordingconnection.com works! Check out the comparison chart. Ask me questions. I know there are positions open in some great locations. So hurry.

Last edited by a moderator:
im sure its been said but there is no substituteor shortcut to actually doin.

get a teacher or book to learn the basics.

like driving or playing sport or karate there's no sub for getting on the road, shooting a basket, kicking something

get some gear and start recording

Watch YouTube vids. Make a website to sell beats. Spend tons on AdWords to drive traffic. Find a 4 leaf clover.

Youtube is the best school hands down. lol and its free. just like my system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still, I see people missing the thread question, and assuming he means engineering, which is not the same as "making beats".
Going to school to have someone show you how to chop , and sequence samples is laughable.

Back