ways to get better at producing?

Just do it

But make sure you put more effort into getting better at it than your questions on how to get better at it. We dont know anything about you..

Last edited:
Just do it

But make sure you put more effort into getting better at it than your questions on how to get better at it. We dont know anything about you..

man, i put a lot of effort. ive been reading everything, watching documentary's, watching beat making videos, listen to instrumentals and more things but i just cant get better at beat making. ive only been making beats for like 2 months.

man, i put a lot of effort. ive been reading everything, watching documentary's, watching beat making videos, listen to instrumentals and more things but i just cant get better at beat making. ive only been making beats for like 2 months.
I meant put an effort into the questions you ask. Basically just if you want a good answer ask a good question kinda thing. All you asked was how to get better at producing. You do realize how broad of a question that is right? What 3 things come to mind first that you want to get better with beat making?

i just cant seem to make a good beat that makes you bump if you know what i mean. like i have visions in my head and stuff i just cant put it to work

this video can help for mixing theory, it's long but worth it -

Last edited by a moderator:
this video can help for mixing theory, it's long but worth it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEjOdqZFvhY
What if you feel you have a grasp on the "Visual" side already, but struggle with actual songwriting? Any tips for that? I really have no trouble mixing/mastering sounds for, say, a remix. My biggest opponent seems to be getting some notes/loops down and finding good sounds that mesh well together(Particularly leads, melodies, hooks etc).

bruh you been making beats for 2 months.. you're not going to get good over night.. smh.. it takes years bruh

No kidding.
Two months?...thats barely cracking the beginner stage.

haha it took me like 2 months as a beginner just to organize all the information that i needed to START looking into.

Im still a beginner anyway. Hasn't quite been a year yet.

OP this may not work for everyone but i suggest doing as much research as possible in the early stages, that was my approach and youll notice that when you start doing hands on when you actually have an idea of what you're doing; your progress will come so fast that it will be enough motivation just to keep you going. So many people hop right into their daws not knowing what they are doing and quit out of frustration.

Time spent researching in the early stages to prepare yourself for hands on work is time spent a lot better than wasting 4 times that amount of time trying to figure it out in your daw first, only to realize you need to go do all that research anyway. And you just burnt up all that time trying to do it without knowing when you coulda did the research right off the bat.

Thats my approach anyway and if i had to go back and do it all again id do this year the exact same way. Now that i actually am getting to working in my daw and making music my progress is shooting up like 100% per song that i do. By the time I'm done one, i wanna restart it because ive thought of 20 better ways i could do it.

Bottom line is, if you go in with all the fundamental research done, the working in your daw part will actually be fun and youll actually have confidence that your progress WILL come, versus asking people when it will come. Because you know what you're capable of doing, you just need to work your way up to it with practice.

i wouldn't suggest doing it this way I'm about to mention cuz it can never hurt following in your daw and doing brief little projects in your study breaks. But personally I didn't even open a daw to produce for the first 6-8 months. I just read everything i possibly could and wrote down little tips i learnt on the way that is now taped to my desk beside my keyboard. Now the hands on 'producing' is actually fun because it all makes sense. And i can focus on actually working on the music rather than stopping to go and google how to use an LFO or something stupid like that. And doing it all like that I'm extremely happy with my progress at this point. And then you can still research stuff along the wy (obviously, you will always be learning more) but at least the basic stuff that researching will slow down your workflow is nailed and you have it all in your head.

THE best tip I ever got is finish a song a week for as long as you need to..dont spend too much time on one..write it, arrange it, rough mix it, move on. Been doing this for a few months now and its ridiculous..i went from taking 4 days building an intro to being able to have a skeleton arrangement of the whole song done the first day. I probably have 15 ish songs in a folder done and arranged now that i can go back to at any time and build the production around.

Last edited:
Wussup bruh, yea 2 months aint nuthin - like everyone here is sayin you need to give it more time. Keep doing what you're doing. It literally does take years.

You probably don't wanna hear this but....

...the one thing that's helped me a lot is what you're already half-doing - listening to & studying that music. Listen to a lot of the types of beats you want to make. But don't just listen to them passively in the background. You actually have to pay attention to the different parts of it.

And the the most important thing - try to recreate what you listen to. That's a great way to learn how to make hot beats - try to recreate other hot beats.

The beatles made hits for days because they spent years as a cover band "recreating" other people's hits.

I wrote a short post explaining how here if you're interested.

Last edited:
I would stretch yourself. Always do stuff you think is impossible. Create weird sounds and stuff, and also never give up. For the first year at least your stuff will be terrible :P but thats just what happens so if you make one awful song, don't give up. Just make another song.

Back