Vocals too bright?

P

ProducerX

http://ca.f2.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/river_pierce

I recorded this guy and want to know if I eq'd the vocals too bright. I don't know if its him but I think I messed up because it doesn't sound like real other stuff out there. Also if you can point out anything else wrong let me know: reflections/room treatment, compression mistakes ect.

Its just a test run and I need advice on my vocal recording chain thats all. LOL I don't care about the beat, we did this in about 5 minutes.

thanks

i'll give it a listen in a minute, but important to know is your current recording chain..

what devices do you use and how are they connected? (i.e. mic into compressor into eq into mixer, etc)

also what do you record with (software? hardware? what device?)

i couldn't get into the folder on your link..

firefox didn't let me open it and in IE i receive an error when loading the page

Ahhhh f*ck Yahoo's driving me crazy! Copy and paste that link in your browser, and it will work, it will bring the mp3 right up

This is messed up, it still don't work, i'm gonna try soundclick

heres the vocal chain i used.
blue-dragonfly mic,
voxengo voxformer- rap preset 1,
Psp lexicon 84- slight delay
t-racks limiter- vocal presence preset

song hasn't been cleared yet in the hi-fi version and i don't want to listen to it in the lo fi version..

i'll give it a listen, tomorrow :)

ProducerX said:

blue-dragonfly mic,
voxengo voxformer- rap preset 1,
Psp lexicon 84- slight delay
t-racks limiter- vocal presence preset

ok, actually i meant only the hardware-route, but that info's important as well.. (i believe the voxformer, psp lex and of course the limiter are plugins, right?)

what kind of audio interface do you use and do you have a mixer, compressor or similar attached?

oh okay, i used a nuemann u87 mic and an Avalon 737 mic pre, went into an m-audio delta 44, then recorded it into Cubase SX 3. I used compression on the Avalon mic pre.

voxengo and t-racks were software plugins i used in Cubase

Alright i uploaded it back to yahoo, baggy sound, can you try it while i'm signed in now, it might work.

http://ca.f2.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/river_pierce

Last edited by a moderator:
Still nothing. I can tell you this much, your weakest link there is the Delta audio device. It's not bad, but you should see a bit of an improvement with a better audio device.

ProducerX said:
oh okay, i used a nuemann u87 mic and an Avalon 737 mic pre, went into an m-audio delta 44, then recorded it into Cubase SX 3. I used compression on the Avalon mic pre.

that sounds strange to me..
first you said it was a dragonfly, now you say it was a neumann mic..

see, that is about 5000$ worth of equipment (neumann/avalon.. about 4000 if it was the dragonfly/avalon combo) going into a 150$ audio interface..

whatsoever: downloading while you're logged in wouldn't work due to the missing cookies on my machine

Back