Vanity is the reason for a lot of failure

Olie

If you create to be able to show people or yourself that you can create something awesome you're coming from a place of vanity and your work will be pretentious.

You see this constantly in lower ranked artists and they always have an excuse why their work is actually so much better than the mainstream artists.

Your job is to entertain, not stroke your own ego. This is just a reminder to myself and to you to never slip into that trap.

That's an interesting take on it, however, like me, possibly, are there niche' musicians just making good music but not being pious about it?

"Your job is to entertain"

I tend not to agree with that statement, I do what I do because I love doing that, and not for any other reason.

"Your job is to entertain"

I tend not to agree with that statement, I do what I do because I love doing that, and not for any other reason.

I understand where you're coming from but i think it's a little self delusion that all artists share. If we really all just did it for "the love of doing", just the act of creation rather than what's done with that creation then why keep the finished product? Why share the end result with others? Even if you make it just for yourself aren't you trying to make something that you find entertaining and interesting?

The definition of entertainment: the action of providing or being provided with amusement or enjoyment.

Art = vanity.

It's like intellectual masturbation for the elite... most artists like attention and get off on the feeling that they are better, know better or have better taste than the general population.. which they call 'The Audience' because their only conceivable role is to passively behold and admire the magnificence of The Work. If that admiration doesn't come, The Artist is often arrogant enough to assume this is The Audience's fault for not comprehending the magnificence and earth shattering brilliance of The Work.

Skills and end-products aside.. what you sell, as an artist, is your vanity and good taste. If you're more comfortable calling that "Ideas" or whatever, do that.. but the bottom line is that you bring these 'Ideas' out because you think they're better (or more significant) than, for instance, mine... That is the definition of vanity.

I'd rather be an artisan than an artist.

I like music. ...and good music is hard to make. That challenge is a big reason why I create music. People said I could never make good music, so I made some ...and I will make more. Whether or not somebody enjoys it is up to them. I can't force anybody to enjoy my music, ...but some people just do and play my songs multiple times a day. I appreciate them a lot, but that's their choice. They like my tunes I guess.

haha, idk...
I just love music.

Last edited:
Skills and end-products aside.. what you sell, as an artist, is your vanity and good taste.

Good taste is subjective so that's just flat out wrong. Why would anyone give a shit about how self masturbatory you are about your ideas (other than being repulsed by it)?

There is no other reason to do music except to impress other people. Thank goodness for vanity.

I see you chose a different color to type with. Did you do that to make your text more interesting for you and others to read or because you wanted to show off how well you could choose an interesting color?

Attachments

• tenor.gif
    tenor.gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Problem is everyone thinks their music is the shit when they first start out. My advice is to enjoy making music and the rest will come in due time.

I see you chose a different color to type with. Did you do that to make your text more interesting for you and others to read or because you wanted to show off how well you could choose an interesting color?
I didn't choose a different color. Are you seeing something I can't see? Check your browser settings.

Just as it is with success one has to know what entails a failure as it is as personally definable as success is, and music is a numbers game that isn't worth playing.

Everyone has an inner narcissist but it should be buoyed by humility. Music isn't inherently a competition, but a shared and/or non-shared experience varying from person to persons.

Last edited:
Back