Using stuff from movies etc. COPYRIGHT ?

Steve Sancteria

Hey guys,

so I´ve came up with a new idea for a track, but I am not quite sure if someone will blow ma a** if I release it on Soundcloud or anywhere else. :D

For example...I wanna produce a track called "Lightsaber" or "Darth Vader" or any certain name that is only mentioned in the Star Wars universe as well as I use sounds from the movies, like that Lightsaber sound, or the sounds of flying crafts or what ever, where everyone will say "uhhh that´s from Star Wars".

Do I get any trouble using specific words from any movie series for my track´s name?
And do I get trouble if I use sounds sampled from the original movies?

Just wanna know if I have to produce certain sounds by myself and give my track a non-specific name before getting into trouble :S

Thanks a lot for the comments :D

I know that back in the day Luther Campbell had to stop referring to himself as Luke Skywallker and that lifting shit from movies is a bit of a mine field because you have the book/script as well as the audio to clear.....I know a lot of cats do Star Wars stuff but it's usually in the guise of a parody.

well, I´ve talked to a friend of mine that should be aware of that stuff since he´s doing some stuff on his label, he also told me he got a strike on soundcloud when he released a remix of jenny from the block (or how that track is called) and set it to be downloadable, when he set it to undownloadable, everything was ok.

But he also said I´ll gonna be screwed if I rellease something with material of the movies, but names such as Darth Vader or Yoda or what ever shouldn´t have that strict Copyright, so I can call my track "Yoda´s green stick", but it´s not gonna be a parody :P it´s kind of a theme based track as well.

Perfect timing for a thread....

I sampled something from a movie and would also like to know more about copyrights with samples from movies and using them in your songs.

I sampled a sound effect from the movie "Big Hero 6". I love the sound and would love to use it in a song.

1. How much do I need to mangle it up in order to bypass copyright...?

2. What if I don't want to mangle it up and like it as it is/stands...?

In the end...if its not possible to bypass copyright law and you still want to use the sample in a song...

Its probably best to just not 'release' the song and just keep it around for 'entertainment purposes'...I presume...???

well I´ve asked a friend of mine who should exactly know what you can do or not :D

So, from another friend of mine, I got that you can use a sample from a movie, as long as you change it until you can´t really reffer it to the movie anymore, because you could have made it then by your own, out of own recorded samples and stuff. If you farth into your microphone and make it sound like 99% a light saber from StarWars, then you can proof that it´s made by yourself, because the audio from the movie is protected, but not the sound idea behind it...how far that goes, seems to be still a small riddle. Since I think it´s impossible to remake a sound 100% by sound designing it yourself (you would have had to apply all steps the sound designer did on the original) you won´t get problems if you make that sound by yourself instead using the actual sample from the movie.

If it comes to naming your track, as long as it isn´t a certainly protected name, such as CocaCola, YouTube, Facebook etc. you won´t get problems at all, but even a friend of mine named a track after a big company and this track actually got into A State Of Trance Top 20 and he didn´t get any problems with it.

ALSO, it depends on your reach. If only 1000 people know about your track and no one gives a damn if a sample is 100% the one from Big Hero 6, nothing will happen ;)

So it makes sense to make sure it´s not 100% the exact sample, also if it sits between some other sounds so you really have to focus to notice that it´s from a movie, the chance of getting evil messages from the actual owner will decrease.

You can produce it and try, if someone doesn´t want to have it in your track, he will let you know :) Just make sure you don´t make any high profits out of it

There's no such thing as "bypassing copyright" - no amount of mangling will change the fact that you're using someone else's recording, and that's technically illegal even if the end result sounds nothing like it. Whether or not anyone will notice is another thing, but basically making it sound like something else is just covering your tracks, unless you actually have permission. But as said, even blatant use of samples without clearance most likely won't get into actual legal trouble, unless you're making money off it. If you just put it on Soundcloud, the worst that'll happen is that it's taken down by SC's detection algorithms.

your not supposed to copy something 100% but if you recreate something by your own, such as many companies did with CocaCola, then it should be ok´ish

I mean how many Cola-like brands did establish the past thew years? :D all taste a bit different but all are a "recreation" of the original CocaCola taste back in the days :P

Yeah, recreating/replaying/interpolating (whatever you want to call it) is a completely different thing. The lines get blurred a lot more at that point...but the main point was that if you use someone else's recording, then there is no way around it (except clearance).

Back