Using midi controllers for live production

antperri1222

hey guys,

So I just got the new MacBook pro and am in the process of moving everything over from my old hp pc. I had fl studio and was using a numark mixtrack pro and AKAI MPK Mini MK2 Midi Controller

im in the process of moving everything over. how hard is it because I had the licenses and such all on my pc will it work on the mac? I am probably going to switch DAWs to ableton because it has ableton live or maybe logic? what do you guys think?

also I am kind of a newbie in terms of live production and using the pads. my hp was very slow so I never really used the controllers much. I see the videos of people using the ableton push or novation launch pad and playing with the pads and am looking for help to do that with the few pads I have on the AKAI mini.

I've looked for tutorials but haven't found anything to help me. do you guys know any good tutorials or references that could help? just some general info on the subject thanks!

The choice of the DAW is a pretty subjective one - you'll hear pros and cons about each, but the bottom line is that all the major players are pretty good and it's down to your personal preferences and needs to make the choice. Both (Ableton) Live and Logic have their strenghts. Moving licenses usually isn't hard at all, more like re-downloading the Mac installers and re-entering your serial numbers (or whichever the protection method used).

What exactly are you having trouble with with the Akai's pads?

for the pads im just looking for good tutorials/ techniques to learn how to play live beats with them or using to make the production process a little easier. Is it as simple as just dropping samples in and playing and recording them? how do I loop the beats I make and so forth?

Back