USB Turntable - Signal too hot.

I'mNoGuru

Wife got me a suitcase turntable for Christmas. It's a Numark PT01 Touring and I just use it in the sitting room or kitchen mainly as I have a turntable set up in the studio upstairs.

But I thought I'd try sampling from the USB into Maschine.

Seems most people that attempt to sample from a USB turntable struggle to get any audio into Maschine at all...

I can connect no problem (preferences - audio - set to WASAPI) but the signal is far too hot and keeps clipping.
There doesn't appear to be any kind of gain control on the USB...

Anyone know a workaround?

Could it be possible the turntable already does the RIAA correction and your maschine also tries to amp it?
I'm not sure... I didn't expect the USB input to be that hot tbh... I've ended up grabbing a spare phono cable and a couple jack-adapters from the studio to keep in my laptop bag, so I can just plug into my AI. Bit disappointing though.

It's not a bad carpet rig though... Monitoring through a Blackstar ID:Core guitar amp that has a couple full range speakers inside - I wouldn't mix on it but for beat-creation/sample-flip duties it's pretty bang on!

Could it be possible the turntable already does the RIAA correction and your maschine also tries to amp it?

There's definitely a phono preamp (with a RIAA EQ) in the turntable before the A/D -> USB connection, but I don't see why the computer would do any additiona amplifying, unless there's some kind of an input gain setting in the Maschine software.

Back