Which USB mixer is better Alesis or Yamaha?

zazulak44

Specifically the Yamaha mw-10 or the ALESIS MULTIMIX 8 USB ????

These were the only two that i found while searching so unless there is another brand of usb mixers then which is better?

dang thats a great deal. thanks for posting it. but thats a lil too expensive for me. i can pick up one of the other ones for $125-150. thats about as much as i can spend right now cuz im trying to save so i can spend a lil more on a mic and preamp

zazulak44 said:
Specifically the Yamaha mw-10 or the ALESIS MULTIMIX 8 USB ????

These were the only two that i found while searching so unless there is another brand of usb mixers then which is better?

I have a EURORACK MX802A and I love it but I also need an Audio Interface to record into my DAW. I came across the Alesis Multimix 8 USB when lookin' for a cheap interface. From what I've been told, the AM8 is decent for a novice and it also comes bundled with an AKG condenser mic. I haven't purchased it yet, but that's what I'm savin' for. The best thing to do is research all of the gear you want and ask as many questions as you can. I hope this helped.

Peace.

Unless you're going to spend hundreds of $, don't bother getting an external preamp. Just spend the money on the mic. Preamps in either of those mixers will be suitable for starting out.

Mixer-wise, I would probably choose the Yamaha. Quieter preamps, although probably very similar-sounding cheap A/D conversion.

Save again later and get a P-Solo.

zazulak44 said:
i was actually considering getting a p-solo also. I was thinking about running a mxl v69 mic through a p-solo and yamaha mw-10.. good or bad idea?
In that case you might want to do away with the Yamaha mixer, and just go for a basic audio interface (slightly better A/D conversion).

straypixel said:
In that case you might want to do away with the Yamaha mixer, and just go for a basic audio interface (slightly better A/D conversion).

what is an A/D conversion? and also, if i went with an audio interface wouldnt it be more money?

I was looking at the usb mixers because of their simplicity. The guy at the local music store said they are perfect for home studios. My friend also has the yamaha mw-10 and loves it. He uses it with a $125 CAD mic and no preamp and gets halfway decent sound. So i figured if i got the yamaha also but invested in a better $300 mic and $500 preamp i would get good sound.

also i know of a guy who uses the yamaha mw-10 with a Mogami MXL V69 mic, and an pretty expensive avalon preamp and he gets quality songs that come on local radio around here and you couldnt tell the difference between him and a signed major artist.

So thats why im kinda interested in the mw-10 but as i was looking for them i also came across the AM8 it was a little cheaper in price. so i still dont know which one is better

Last edited:
here's the deal -

USB/Firewire mixers are pointless unless you also play live and can actually utilize the mixing function. They add a whole bunch of uneccesary circuitry that you don't even need, and that can kill your sound - the only exception i can think of is the Mackie Onyx series, but that's out of your price range (and better suited to live recording anyway).

How much do you want to spend total? around 1000?

zazulak44 said:
what is an A/D conversion? and also, if i went with an audio interface wouldnt it be more money?

A/D = Analog/Digital

...And yes, if you're goin' to buy somethin' like a MBOX2, you'll pay more than $150 ...unless you can get a crackhead to steal you one cheaper!!

im not spending more than $150. i can always upgrade later. i need usb cuz i dont know anyother way to hook it up to my computer. I know that they can get good sound because i know 2 people who own them and get radio quality results.

All i need to know is...

What is better, the AM8 or Yamaha mw-10???????????

zazulak44 said:
i need usb cuz i dont know anyother way to hook it up to my computer. I know that they can get good sound because i know 2 people who own them and get radio quality results.
Given that comment, the weakness sounds like your inexperience. By what standard would you judge 'radio quality'?

As it happens, FM radio is terrible compared to CD.

im judging by cd. i can judge quality really good. its just that I have a lack of experience with studio equipment.
Unfortunately, the only thing that i have to go by is the very few home studios ive been able to work in. Basically, the only mixer that ive ever worked with is the yamaha mw-10. And giving the right equipment to go along with it, its sound is pretty good for the price.
The reason im curious about the AM8 is that it seems pretty similar when i look at it on internet stores. However it is a little cheaper. So if i could get the same results out of a AM8 that i could get with the mw-10 i would be very pleased with my first home studio mixer. plus i would have a little extra money to spend on some other music gear. ya dig?

i personally wouldnt deal with a usb mixer. the bandwith isnt big enough to handle large amounts of audio passing though them. Try firewire or buying a firewire soundcard.

Xabiton said:
i personally wouldnt deal with a usb mixer. the bandwith isnt big enough to handle large amounts of audio passing though them. Try firewire or buying a firewire soundcard.

yet again. ive worked with the mw-10 and was satisfied with the results for a small low budget studio.

how much would the fire wire deal be?

Yo straypixel, would you list some names of a few "basic audio interfaces"? or should i just google audio interface and see what pops up?

If i bought an audio interface would the set up be like this? :

MICROPHONE <---connected to---> Pre-Amp <---connected to---> Interface<---connected to---> Computer

Correct?

Last edited:
after reading more of this thread I don't think you are going to find anything really good in that price range. Are you only doing vocals? I was assuming you were making beats. If you are just tracking vocals I wouldn't even bother with a mixer. Find a preamp with a firewire or usb output and track the vocals straight to the computer.

Last edited:
Xabiton said:
after reading more of this thread I don't think you are going to find anything really good in that price range. Are you only doing vocals? I was assuming you were making beats. If you are just tracking vocals I wouldn't even bother with a mixer. Find a preamp with a firewire or usb output and track the vocals straight to the computer.

that sounds like an idea. i had the TRUE P-Solo preamp in mind. does that have usb output?

yes i am only doing vocals. i just need one channel to record, and an output for my monitors. I was told last night that i could get a interface such as the m-box fast track or Tascam US 122 that will connect mic and preamp to my PC and get the same vocal quality that the yamaha mw-10 would get.

is this true? because if it is then that could be a cheaper and simpler route.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tascam-US-122-U...158645522QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item290158645522

you can get better quality for your money buying an audio interface but u arent going to find anything great in the $150 range. get your money up

Back