Uploading a track to Soundcloud

JulianRays

I've been trying to upload a track to soundcloud for the past few days. Everything goes well and there aren't really any problems with the whole uploading part.... until I try to listen to it. The track sounds different from the original file that I uploaded. Now I know that this is something that happens with the whole transcoding process that soundcloud uses, but this is just ridiculious. So I was wondering if anybody has had these problems before and if they know a solution to it.

what is your upload format?

because soundcloud transcodes from whatever format you upload to 128kbps mp3 format for their streaming services you could be the victim of second generation encoding errors within the mp3 format

best to upload in 16bit/44.1kHz format and then let soundcloud encode the file for the first time with their transcoding process

I've tried multiple formats. My first upload was 16bit wav file. But I've uploaded the same track about 8 times now with different settings and different formats. but the problem is still there no matter what format or settings I use

hmmm, don't know what to say to that - I would need to hear both versions to be sure that you're hearing something that is actually present...

Here's the soundcloud link, and you can download the original version from the soundcloud page for comparison.

soundcloud.com/julian-rays/druid-original-mix

Now I would also like to add to that, that the problem might also be because of my dynamics or mastering (since i'm still beginner at this).
But besides that I can still hear a significant difference between the two versions

soundcloud encodes the file and compresses it it's own way on the site.. but if someone downloads the track.. they'll download your exact original file..

This ^, you can't avoid the compressed sound that soundcloud does to your track. If people download it and play it elsewhere it will be how it was before you uploaded it. It's simply just soundcloud.

Back