Two Month Old Producer!

PandaCat

Hey guys!
Does anyone here know the feeling of "there is a great idea for a song in my head!" but have absolutely no clue how to produce that idea?

That's the predicament I'm in right now, but for me, I can't seem to create anything past super basic sounds.
I've been actively practicing and learning how to produce for two months now, having played guitar/violin/piano in the past, so I understand music theory well enough. I understand how to make a pluck or a super-saw, but they're all basic with no interesting effects on them like you hear in big name songs nowadays.

Periodically, I encounter YouTube videos that actually help me get past this problem, like videos that recreate a sound (e.g. the intro synth from Spectrum - Zedd) or free FLP's, but it's hard to search for "how to make long swoosh edm" without getting some really janky results. xD

Any advice on how to get a better foundation on sound design and effects would be super helpful!

Wow. I'm just surprised that a baby knows how to type.

Seriously though, you can't expect anything after two months. Two years, maybe, but at two months, there's no advice I can give you bar keep practising and doing what you're doing.

You just need to get better at sound production man. Pick out a synth and stick to it. I like Sylenth1 and use it for basically every synth sound I make. It's easy to understand if you watch some tutorials on it, I'd really recommend SadowickProduction's series on it. Just keep grinding and working on it and you'll undoubtedly improve.

I did watch a lot of tutorials and still do and try to recreate and understand what is done in the video. What also really helped me was learning how to play piano/ keyboard but as you said this is not your problem.
The more you produce the better your ears will get and you will know which effects you need to bring out the brilliance in your sound.
Also you should get some basic understanding about the tools your using like EQ, compressor, panning etc.

Last edited:
Spend alotta time doing research simply put.

Some parameters and stuff are universal. Like the various effects and modules/control areas of synths and samplers.
To this day still spend a good bit of time researching on youtube and reddit myself if interested in something peculiar or new to me.

Back