Tube Pre Into Interface?

MacVibez

Quick question, If using tubepre into interface should i turn gain to zero on interface and use gain from tubepre or use gain in both tube pre and Interface?

Quick question, If using tubepre into interface should i turn gain to zero on interface and use gain from tubepre or use gain in both tube pre and Interface?
That should be your starting point, yes... But if you get to a point that's 'tubey' enough but need a bit of clean gain - there's nothing to stop you cranking on the AI's input-gain knob.
It's gonna depend on what you're tracking in and is gonna take some experimentation to get right...

Did what you suggested, played with gain on both also abit of drive from the Tube pre. not satified with the overall sound no matter what equation i use between the two. Basically im just trying to achieve vocals that will stand out in the mix but not distort hince the reason i even added the tube pre into the chain(also because of the PAD option). the interface is scarlette 2i2 (which does not have PAD option) 1st gen not sure if that device alone will help with a good mix no matter how much compression and eq i use. Mic im uising is TLM 102 (sounds decent but not enough gain in so many words) should i just stick with the 2i2 for gain and only use tube pre for PAD or eliminate Tube pre altogether.....(the struggle is real :4theloveofgod:

It's a waste of time but...

Throw away the shitty tubepre use only the preamp of the audio interface.

Learn how to mix.

Advice taken...Not a huge improvement, but more clarity and headroom nun the less. The 2i2's pre amps are lack luster and dont get me started on the drivers. re-positioning the mic also helped out (Word Of advise for anyone reading...Mic in the middle of the room not a good idea unless u have damn near industry type treatment!!!) Put it back in the corner n walaH! more compression naturally but nothing to bragg about (But make sure theres foam or blankets there not just bare ass wall). To be completely honest i just want to focus on writing music, this trial n error shyt is way tooo time consuming, but..i also have to be comfortable with the sound i achieve. iknow it wont be excellent given the equipment i have, but i gotta get it damn close!:alcoholic:

Which preamp are we talking about here? The fact that it has some kind of a tube in it won't make anything stand out, it'll just saturate in a different fashion than a solid state unit - and not necessarily in a way that makes the vocals nice (especially if it's a low end unit). I'd probably forget about the pre & focus on the mix.

re-positioning the mic also helped out (Word Of advise for anyone reading...Mic in the middle of the room not a good idea unless u have damn near industry type treatment!!!) Put it back in the corner n walaH! more compression naturally but nothing to bragg about (But make sure theres foam or blankets there not just bare ass wall).

You do everything wrong one can do wrong.
Don't place yourself in a corner this will result in a low end boost. Unnatural sound, nothing to do with 'natural' compression.
The commonly used acoustic foam is too thin so it's absorbing just highs and high mids. The result is a even more bassy and dull sound.

Step around in your room and try out several positions to find the one best suited for placing the mic. And use broadband absorbers. You'll find some DIY instructions on the web, in essence it's a wooden frame filled with rockwool. Very cheap, very effective.

Back