Trying to make my own distinct sound, but:

D

DJ Disconnected

Wassup,
My case is this; I want to get rid of the old boring sound/loop.
The same old boring loop. Where I have 1-3 patterns, all consist of the same thing as in intro,content://media/external/file/13097 verse, hook, pre-verse, verse, hook, etc. Something to change the rotation of my beats because they all have the same old sound to them if that makes sense. Example: Take a brief listen to my last beat I made because I believe this is a prime example of what I'm talking about: https://soundcloud.com/djdisconnected/manzil-fakhkh plus other beats on my SoundCloud.
Thanks.
Is there a way I can make my beats diverse, interesting and unique + have that "radio ready" feel to them?
I'm wanting to learn as much as possible.
I use FL Studio, I also am having trouble when it comes to making leads/melodies where it is I'd want to have something interesting to lead or whatever, and I'm not sure on the piano roll what keys go with which, minor/major, this that. I'm unsure and I'd like to learn it all. There are various beats on my soundcloud too which I feel are a bit boring but I posted them to get all sorts of feed back. I appreciate what you guys here can help me with. I'm
ready to learn more and as much as I can, any resources that may help or helped you are highly appreciated.

I recently just played around for practice, but does this sound more diverse?:

https://clyp.it/ol4upsdd

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about the font color. I was wondering why I had no replies yet. Fixed now.

if you want a different sound, don´t use the same loops all the time, while I am not a fan of just using simple loops since it´s sometimes stupid to edit single fragments in a loop.
I know TRY/ERROR is something most people use, I am TRY/ERROR most of the time, with sounds etc. but most of my melodies/adds for the beat/creative stuff are build in my head first.

So I have a Zoom H-2 Recorder, 2 big Whiteboards, a lot of paper and a pencil on my desk and when ever I found something new when I go through my current beat in my head, I write it down and try to explain as accurate as possible how to design the new sound that came into my head, I´ll post a thread in the next time what I am having as "bring ideas to paper equipment" because I am quite interested in what other people use, IF they use something :D

This is the thing about WRITING music, for the future as practicing, try to start with a simple beat and a simple bassline, nothing special, then stand up in your room, walk circles and during that, get that beat you already have in your mind and add things in your mind, if you found something, write it down and try to explain it in words or scetches, I do that since I´ve started composing when I was 15 years old cause during work it´s hard to get a new idea directly into your computer :D

Do that every day, just for practicing and you´ll develop creating better and more complex soundscapes in your head, this interludes bigger changes in all your tracks.

I heard a song off that, "The Morning." The beat starts simple with a filter, drum loop with a synth, light guitar in the intro. Then they let the synth and drums play out, with a perc. Still the same loop of the drum/synth/perc Re-add a guitar, it fades it until it reaches it's peak then a snare drum roll with makes the hook. But there is still that same synth drum loop going on as the snares/guitar play over the drums, snare, percs to finish the hook. The second verse comes in and the kicks stay from the hook along with a new clap. But one thing I noticed the same synth, perc, and drums play out most of the song until it's time for a hook which usually re-introduces the guitar and snare each time.

It's really simple if you think of it, in a way. It's just diversity. Adding fade ins, fade outs, filters and mutes throughout the song keeps it interesting. I'm going to try to follow a pattern similar to this song and see what I can build off of it.

Overthinking Patterns.
Overthinking Events.
Overthinking Automation and effects.
Overthinking The whole process as a whole.

Colored blocks.

The song you posted (manzil fakhkh) is cool but the piano sounds out of key. I would stick in C Major (all white keys) or spruce up on your scales / theory. Or try chopping up some samples and pitching them up and down instead of writing a piano roll. And if it sounds right it's right. Personally I do that a lot because I'm not good at writing melodies on the fly and am not a piano player at all. Drums are my forte

Using a different approach for each song and different samples / drum sounds / synths can be great to add variety and to learn new ways to piece together a song. It doesn't always have to be by the book. Mistakes can be your friend, some of the coolest stuff I've made is when I just winged it (not that I have much to show, lol). Good luck man you're on the right path!

Last edited:
Is there any tutorial or video (themed for rap/hip-hop) that explains music theory well along with major/minor, what keys go with each other?

Thanks.

I feel with each beat I do I progress a bit, so to answer your question, yes. I do.

Music Theory Tutorial Playlist....Its not in FL Studio but the info translates to any DAW...HMU if you have any questions

Back