Trouble getting into producing

Tomix

Hey guys,

I'm struggling at the moment, i'm trying to produce some tracks with vocals etc, not just a beat.

The issue I have is that nothing is good enough, I can't get into making a song and I think it's because i'm trying to be too complicated when I am simply not ready for it yet. How can I keep myself interested while learning? I can't see a song through

Whats your background? Or more importantly what have you been doing recently to get better at it? There are questions like this all the time but they're usually from people who just sit down and assume making music will be easy.

You said yourself you aren't ready for it yet so thats probably true. Sooo...before I can say anything you need to answer my first 2 questions + What software are you using and why? Etc..just basically give a run-through of what you know and what you're using. If you're really into this that should be fun to talk about. If you dont know how to answer any of that we will just start from square one and you aren't gonna like it most likely because you won't be making any music for awhile haha. Making music isn't as easy as the media makes it out to be, that so people try it and spend money. Theres a learning and research process thats comparable to any school course, so if you aren't passionate about it the early stages of all of this will be really boring.

Im kinda jumping the gun here and assuming you're brand new, ill just let you answer the questions before I say anything else haha.

Last edited:
The obvious answer would be: 'Keep it simple'

Keep at it. Rome wasn't built in a day and most producers go on a journey of shit before they start making quality output...
It's a cliche but 'There's levels to this shit' ... And I've definitely made breakthroughs were I feel I've 'levelled up' since I started... With practice and experimentation these breakthroughs can be fairly frequent.
Not that there aren't plateaus... There are. But then something clicks and a chain reaction of clicks follows... It's very liberating.

but yeah... Keep it simple. Build on what you have. Know when you've done enough before you've done too much.

I'm more concerned that you have articulated you have a problem but you have not told us what the underlying issues are within that problem
- why is nothing good enough
- what are your criteria for saying that something is good enough?
- what have you done that you are happy with?
- what are you trying to emulate?

telling us this will help us guide you to where you want to be from where you are now.....

Put less pressure on yourself - it takes about a DECADE or more to become good..keep at it!

also, take a break from it for a few days - dont even think about it then go back to it, helps with peace of mind

Good luck

Show us Your work. Maybe not good enough for You isn't bad, maybe it needs only few moves here and there to move i level up?
And the second thing: why should You loose an interest in making music? If You love it You will do it no matter what. I'm making music for at least 20 years and I'm still learning. I can't listen to my music made 5 or 10 years ago, but I have in mind: that was THE time and that was THE music. Listen, learn, compose, produce and again: listen, learn, compose, produce...

The best way that works for me is to get the stems from successful tracks (from remix comps etc) and pick them apart. Find out what makes them work and recreate it.

My first advice is don't give up just yet. When you set yourself to make a beat, always start with the chords, or a melody. This is essential if you start with the chords, everything, I mean everything "melody,bassline, ect", must be done in the same notes you made the chords "watch chord progression tutorials". If you're going to use a midi controller for your melodies, watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U0DfLRxSBU
it show you how to find all the chords easily.
watch to tutorial and don't think about making money yet, enjoy your be making sections for fun.
I'm just days away from making a hit/banger. It took me 2 years to perfect my technique. It makes me proud to hear worse songs than my on the radio. Dn't give up

Sorry I haven't responded to any of the comments but I appreciate them all, thanks. I'm getting an old synthesizer to help produce and just play around with the sounds and see what happens.

Back