Trouble deciding on an artist/DJ name? Bounce ideas around in here.

Yumid

Most people have a hard time coming to a conclusion for an artist name to release music under. Including me. I've had this idea for a thread for awhile but havent made it because..well I dont really know why so here it is haha.

The names in this thread are for brainstorming purposes, don't get offended if someone says they dont like the names youre inquiring about because thats the point of this thread. Just because something seems cool to you doesnt mean the name is going to appeal to the general public, which IMO should come in to factor when making a decision for a name. And the names you post may not even be frontrunners for the one you choose, maybe youre just posting random name ideas to see how everyone reacts to them.

Something to consider when posting a name idea or answering:
-The story behind the name can be told but when answering about a name try to remember the general public isn't going to know the story behind your name. So even though there might be a cool story to go with it, the name should be appealing on its own as well because the majority of the time people see it on beatport/soundcloud/ etc.. all they see is the name by itself and they wont know the story, so it should be good on its own as well.

Things to consider when answering about a name:
-How does the name by itself make you feel?
-Would it be better suited for a solo artist? Group? Doesnt matter?
-do you think it sounds cool by itself? stupid? random? Fits a certain genre?
-If you were going to a DJ show or a concert what would your first impression be if someone had this name?
-etc..

NO ASKING ABOUT A NAME WITHOUT AT LEAST REPLYING ABOUT THE SAME EQUAL AMOUNT OF NAMES,
EX.) If you're post is wondering about 2 potential names, you need to at least reply and critique 2 names other people are wondering about
- The whole point in the thread is to bounce ideas around to spark new ideas, not just ask about yours.

One I'm curious about is "Hurdens Hill" it just came to me this morning for an artist/Dj name

Story doesnt matter like i mentioned above. But just for the hell of it "Hurdens Hill" was this old abandoned "haunted" house me and friends used to go and drink at when we were younger haha. Had tons of fun there and lots of memories related to lots of different things. Plus there were some pretty cool stories to go along with it, but it pretty much just signifies a big piece of my child hood. But thats to me. How does it sound to someone who it means nothing to? What would you think of it if you seen a producer going by Hurdens Hill? Too Random?

It kind of sounds creepy to me but at the same time it doesnt have to be. The genres I would be producing under it would be lots of complex electronic sounds ranging from 4 on the floor heavy hitting dub step all the way to chill ambient trance.

Some more ideas ill toss out just to get the thread rolling (But my main one I am asking about is Hurdens Hill, I really wanna see the perspective from someone who it means nothing to) As you'll notice most of these are abstract ideas that mean nothing because thats what i thought i wanted to go with until Hurdens Hill came to me this morning.

-Tiezen
-Yumid
-Idane
-Yuma (realized there is already someone named Yuna, but I liked this one before that :( )

Last edited:
When it comes to names these days you really need to consider how people will find you over the Internet, take for example the spelling of Gnarls Barkley with it's silent G, people would go into record stores and be searching for it under N and the same thing applies to the Internet but with the Internet the other pitfall is searches which bring up similar results, if for example your band's name was "Masters of Industry" any search for your Band's name would yield a whole bunch of unrelated search results containing the same phrase.

Last edited:
I've said this elsewhere:

Some of the largest and most profitable companies in the world have really stupid-sounding names (i.e., Walmart, Amazon).

It seems to me that companies who try hard to come up with a "clever" name have a high failure rate.
My experiences with a company/group/etc. influence how I feel about the name, and not the other way around.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Back