Is it too late to become a major impact in the music industry?

liem

I was just wondering what everyone thought about age and the success ratio a person would have in the music industry today? It seems like kids are even farther along in music than i am. I'm not going to quit or anything but just wondering if their were any artists or producers that made it big by not starting super young? All these top producers and artists seem to start at the ripe age around 12-16. I just turned 18 entering the game. A little disappointing and regretful but anyone else feel this way?

man lex is 21 im 18.....shit kills me im almost his age but thats just motivation to work harder

I started about half a year ago and I'm 25. Of course I wish I had started earlier since I would be at a much higher level by this time but age doesn't matter much. This is not a sport or something where you really need to be in top shape and be at a peak age to perform, even an 80 year old dude can sit behind the computer and make music ;)

man lex is 21 im 18.....shit kills me im almost his age but thats just motivation to work harder

I was just gonna say, that shit should motivate you. Quit thinkin about '"Oh I'd be better by now if I started when I was 9" or whatever cause chances are at that age you'd prly be doin the same thing, thinkin about some bullsh!t that's gon distract you from workin. If you really feel like that I feel sorry for you, lol not. But on a serious note there ain't no other time but now, so get to work n!ggaa!

Yo guys.. I just read that 9th Wonder made his first beat in 97 when he was 23.. It's never too late. Im 21 and I got 2,3 months of learning EVERYTHING behind me, and I just made first good sounding beat. Im gon keep goin until I will master my music the best way that I can.

age is fool boy s*** I'm 37 started at 36 lol.... but I move with music, i know what's good and what's bad in music I listen to opera, classical, 50's 60's 70's 80's was well into the 90's scene of many genre and still building a database and am even producing dub step. now for a 37 year old that aint bad ........ and what,s on my side is the sampling, i got 37 years years of crap in my head even if some is just elvis my mom played when i was one.. one of the most successful writers/composers was writing/composing songs for Madonna and many other at the ripe age of 60. It's not about age it's about having it... I jus did a dub step mix using samples from films made in the 70's and sound ok for an amateur with only a years experience (and i got day job and had to do much learning) without my age i maybe would not of been able to go there.

with new generations you can reintroduce good music as long as you up to date it.... fat boy slim had his day around late 30's early 40's .......... age is knowledge it's staying fresh that's hard, even new producers have to delve in the past.... listen to this Audio Mousse sixty seconds to what (over dub mix).avi - YouTube it's not great but shows how a man nearly 40 can (try) keep up with the times..

the music that's played all the way through is by the composer Ennio Morricone who composed for most of the spaghetti western films and this one was gone in sixty seconds from a few dollars more the other samples were from a film called cool hand Luke......... knowledge is power

Last edited:
age is fool boy s*** I'm 37 started at 36 lol.... but I move with music, i know what's good and what's bad in music I listen to opera, classical, 50's 60's 70's 80's was well into the 90's scene of many genre and still building a database and am even producing dub step. now for a 37 year old that aint bad ........ and what,s on my side is the sampling, i got 37 years years of crap in my head even if some is just elvis my mom played when i was one.. one of the most successful writers/composers was writing/composing songs for Madonna and many other at the ripe age of 60. It's not about age it's about having it... I jus did a dub step mix using samples from films made in the 70's and sound ok for an amateur with only a years experience (and i got day job and had to do much learning) without my age i maybe would not of been able to go there.

with new generations you can reintroduce good music as long as you up to date it.... fat boy slim had his day around late 30's early 40's .......... age is knowledge it's staying fresh that's hard, even new producers have to delve in the past.... listen to this Audio Mousse sixty seconds to what (over dub mix).avi - YouTube it's not great but shows how a man nearly 40 can (try) keep up with the times..

the music that's played all the way through is by the composer Ennio Morricone who composed for most of the spaghetti western films and this one was gone in sixty seconds from a few dollars more the other samples were from a film called cool hand Luke......... knowledge is power

this was a cool read. Nice mix too. I can definatly feel you on the fact that you know about hella old school shit you could bring back as a sample beat. im young so i dont know hardly anything i gotta go to the flip this section to find the good ones! lol.

wait till i know what I'm doing i got so much to bring back :) i jus got to give it the vibe...... i know class tunes..... i should be scary if i ever perfect this world....... knowledge is power

dont think about that. in life its never too late. sounds like pretty corny bullshit, but if you want to make - thats the way you have to live and think.

A lot of producers got their starts in their mid- to late 20s. Keep at it.

Ain't that David Guetta became super popular in his late 30's ? Anyways this souldn't stop you.

I understand the feeling.. I've been involved in music for some 15 years now, just 1 year in EDM and I know guys of 17-19 that does WAY better stuff than I do but there's also the self reward part to music composing, and that's motivating enough.

... That and being cooler than your other friends when hangin with chicks.. ;)

Man I doubt it's ever too late it's just about how much time you literally have/want to give.

I mean if you made beats every single waking second you could, over years and years, I can't see that failing.

That's I'm sure unrealistic unless you absolutely had no social life so for most of us it's about finding a good balance.

But hey if you can work on it like 15 hours on days you aren't obligated to something, more power to you I know I don't have that kind of focus/drive yet, or if I ever will.

Age has nothing to do with WORK ETHIC. Period. Lex Luger started I think earlier than 18 and was sending bundles of beats to artist via myspace. It just so happened that Waka Flocka hit him back (before he blew up) and that came to the creation of Hard In The Paint. Im sure many of you hit up artists and do the same method, he just happened to get a break. Same as Justin Beiber, been putting in work since a little kid & caught a break. THe chick that did the song Promis ring...all examples of hard work, but really catching a break.

If anything it should make you want to work harder. If you havea solid catalog and sound then your good. Focus now on learning the business, learning WHO could potentially help you get to where you want to be. Talent plays only like 10% in this game. You might be a train and the guy sitting next to you is best friends with the lead A&R for Def Jam Records...Or that girl singing is actually the vocal coach for Rihanna..

Your 18 so its a good age, my advice is to make sure your priorities are right early on. If you really want to do this, learn as much as you can as often as you can. If your in college, utilize that. Branch outside of your city. Be bigger than that local guy... No need for regrets/disappointment get up and try again.

#Trilltrax #WxW

I'm 12 and I started when I was 9... I know I'm young, but to answer your question, I think if you are confident in what you do you can make it. It's never too late to do what you love. I thank God that I have the advantage of being able to start at an early age, but at the end of the day, do what you love and feel, let whats in you out and you'll go far. Stay Motivated!

I'm 12 and I started when I was 9... I know I'm young, but to answer your question, I think if you are confident in what you do you can make it. It's never too late to do what you love. I thank God that I have the advantage of being able to start at an early age, but at the end of the day, do what you love and feel, let whats in you out and you'll go far. Stay Motivated!

Dam man, 12? Keep at it and your gonna get big.

Last edited:
Dam man, 12? Keep at it and your gonna get big.

real talk if you dont turn 13 14 15 and start smoking weed and hanging out using young as an excuse to BS and start real life only at age 18 when you have to, and dedicate yourself to this, and sacrifice a little bit of social time here and there to perfect your craft. Thats guarenteed success. If you want this you can get it and you being young and having absolutley no obligations other than doing good in school just means that you can practice and get better and better and better. Keep it up man dont ever put the keyboard or MPC or FL reason shit whatever it is that you use down.

Alot of those young producers had connections if not they would probably be on here lol

i think you should judge them based how long it took them to start making GOOD beats instead of when they started making beats because if it took them 5 years and it took you 3 then who cares how old they were when they started

Back