tips for self teaching yourself piano

R

rurokenji

hi guys,

any tips for how i can go about learning the piano online? I haven'#t got money for lessons atm so it will have to be from online. I have stumbled unto this guy's video series (lypur)

Learn How To Play Piano (NEW) - YouTube

I am thinking of taking it u but it seems like he is just teaching directions (theory) but not showing how to play..if you get what i mean. I wanna be one of those cats that can just sit at a piano and play something hat sounds decent and make my own music on the piano (like be that flexible with the instrument like bruno mars, stevie and all that- i understand that this may takes years but i'm up for it). Any tips, guys/ Shall i follow this guy;s videos and learn classical pieces ? I'm clueless..

Thanks
Edit; and please..no self promoting dvd series or the sort. Just advice, please.

Theory is how you learn. You wont be playing to fluently unless you understand theory. Even people would aren't formally taught memorize what works so they understand theory to some extent.

Tips to self teaching. Get a book or a training course/series, there are plenty on youtube, and do exactly what they tell you.

Theory is how you learn. You wont be playing to fluently unless you understand theory. Even people would aren't formally taught memorize what works so they understand theory to some extent.

Tips to self teaching. Get a book or a training course/series, there are plenty on youtube, and do exactly what they tell you.

The link i have above is a theory course. Ok, i will take up the guy's course on youtube but what else shall i do alongside it? Learn to play songs? Pop songs? classical?

I dont have piano or midi keyboard at home, never learnt how to play with him but music producing and theory helps alot. As I said i never had piano but when I went to my friends house and saw piano i was able to play some songs even with chords. Obviously my fingers are "wooden" i dont have any skills playing piano because i never did that before but all i want to say that in my opinion theory is biggest teacher for you. I dont even know how to start learning piano but i think to know scales and chords is helpful

Yeah, i have found a theory course online but i need some good song material to implement the technics i will learn from the theory. Pop or classical, guys? which one is good to learn in order to reach that stage i mentioned, above

I'm very biased because I have had teachers for guitar, conga, and djembi, but I think you should never teach yourself an instrument if you can afford to get a teacher.

As said before learn theory.

Start with scales and other finger exercises - you might want to look at the Hanon and Czerny exercises for this

Fingers are numbered 1-5 on each hand as 1: Thumb, 2: Index, 3: Middle, 4: Ring, 5: Little - this will help interpret what to do when you are looking at music and you see these numbers above the notes in each hand

Beginning Piano for Adults may be a good place to start (recommended by pumpthrust)

Start with scales and other finger exercises - you might want to look at the Hanon and Czerny exercises for this Fingers are numbered 1-5 on each hand as 1: Thumb, 2: Index, 3: Middle, 4: Ring, 5: Little - this will help interpret what to do when you are looking at music and you see these numbers above the notes in each hand Beginning Piano for Adults may be a good place to start (recommended by pumpthrust)
Good info......When i took lessons, i played songs and did scale exercises...

I took two classes at my community college, beginner sight reading and music theory.

I already knew everything they were teaching me cause of youtube.

Hey I'm actually watching lypurs videos for the music theory though not piano. For piano lessons I'm subscribed to "the online piano and violin tutor" on youtube. Both have helped tremendously but be prepared: it takes time and patience it wont come about over night :)

Hi I am a female rapper/producer and I was trained in classical piano as a child by my mom who said I'd thank her later and today I do lol I'd start with classical piano because every sub genre kind of stems from that, theory is the foundation for sure but here are some not so techincal tips that I find useful

when in doubt play all black keys or all white keys you can't go wrong with that
practice and train your ear by playing along with songs, you can tune your ear this way by playing notes/keys until you hear them go with the song
to build a major chord use the equation 1 + 5 + 4 ie press any key then the 5th key then the 4th key, all three keys played together are a major chord
to build a minor chord use the equation 1 + 4 + 5
have fun!

:)

Whilst your method is fine for a small child - it causes errors in understanding how things are structured in musical terms later

It seems wrong on the face of it and at closer inspection it is - you are asserting that the first key is counted as part of the process to get to the next key (5th key) and that the 5th key is counted as 1 before moving on to the 4th key

Both are errors because the major 3rd is 4 semitones wide (so you should be moving 4 keys above the first key held down) and the minor 3rd is 3 semitones wide (so you should be moving 3 keys above the 2nd key held down); i.e. the key that is held down is a 0 key in both cases of counting so that keys remain equal to the semitones in the interval.

Your method also ignores inversions completely

Whilst your method is fine for a small child - it causes errors in understanding how things are structured in musical terms later

It seems wrong on the face of it and at closer inspection it is - you are asserting that the first key is counted as part of the process to get to the next key (5th key) and that the 5th key is counted as 1 before moving on to the 4th key

Both are errors because the major 3rd is 4 semitones wide (so you should be moving 4 keys above the first key held down) and the minor 3rd is 3 semitones wide (so you should be moving 3 keys above the 2nd key held down); i.e. the key that is held down is a 0 key in both cases of counting so that keys remain equal to the semitones in the interval.

Your method also ignores inversions completely

okay I've shown these tips to a couple people in person and they found it useful but I guess from a technical standpoint you are quiet right, pardon the explanation of my tips they didn't come across the way I intended them too

Back