Tips for Making R&B Beats?

caycay

I'm trying to get into making R&B and popish R&B beats. Does anyone have any tips or pointers. I've made some R&B joints, but they aren't at level I want them to be. Also, when I say R&B I mean songs like "Avant- don't take your love away", "Donell Jones - just a little, my place", "janet Jackson - you know that I love you, make me". Does anyone have any pointers for making r&b beats and R&B/pop beats? Any help is appreciated

well for starters most RNB tracks have 4 bar hooks w/ 12 bar verses and a bridge somewhere toward the end between the last verse and the last hook...as far as the musical composition ur on your own....it would also help to have access to a seasoned musician

Does anyone have any pointers for making r&b beats and R&B/pop beats? Any help is appreciated

Do you know how to play the piano? Only tip I can think of off the top is that & don't get too busy wit the drums. But of course every track is different..

Yuh, I do play the piano, but I'm not great at composing...I was thinking the same thing, I guess I just need to get better at the piano and guitar

reverb is always your friend in RnB, especially more recent stuff, youd want to listen to drake (so far gone is still the best imo) and even kanye's 808s album. Think big and atmospheric.

well for starters most RNB tracks have 4 bar hooks w/ 12 bar verses and a bridge somewhere toward the end between the last verse and the last hook...as far as the musical composition ur on your own....it would also help to have access to a seasoned musician

without bein disrespectful 4 bar hooks with longer verses doesnt sound right to me lol

I'm trying to broaden my scope too. I want to make those kind of tracks as well, and I think it just takes a lot of creativity, studying and practice. Listen to all those tracks and find out what they have in common, how the lead melody is voiced and how they transition from bar to bar, verse to chorus. How do the drums drive the track and how dominant is the bassline. Imitate and then experiment on your own, and eventually it'll just click.

The biggest hurdle for most people when making R&B beats is the chord progressions. They can be rather complex.
Check my site below for chords etc. which you can download and even learn from them

Find a set of sound that you like and are appropriate.
Yuh, I do play the piano, but I'm not great at composing...I was thinking the same thing, I guess I just need to get better at the piano and guitar
Mess about. Write a four-bar hook to start with... Then simplify it...
I dunno how others write but I write like I'm a dyslexic builder. Sometimes I start on the first floor and have to build backwards to ground level...

Back