Time we should spend producing.

Timeless Flows

Greetings,friends. I have been producing since a few months now and i was wondering how much time does a producer have to spend in order to develop and make better music. I have set myself the goal of spending 3 hours five days a weak on producing and learning techniques,since i have a lot other stuff going on(studying and going to school,taking piano lessons,taking english lessons,social life and so on) . So i was wondering if those 15 hours of producing weekly are enough ? How much time do you guys spend producing?

This will be different for everyone as we all learn at different speeds, all you can do is spend as much time as you can :) you can only get better. A friend of mine took around 6 years to get up to professional sound whereas another only 3 years, both with fulltime jobs though.
Good luck :D

Depends how good you want to get. Some people say 10,000 hours for a top level athlete or world-class concert musician: but I don't think that this applies to producing as once you reach a certain level of production it becomes much more about the musicianship

I haven't been counting exactly, but I think it took me 1000-1500 hours to reach grade 8 standard on the piano, so at 15 hours a week that would be 2 years, assuming you are making progress at the same rate.

You'll see some progress pretty quick, I saw a TED talk implying you can learn the rudiments of any skill in 20 hours.

You learn by being repetitive, so don't focus on the how long, just focus on the journey and the end goal. I'm sure that you think about producing day in/out, and I'm also sure that you work on your music daily, so just keep it it. The key is to not quit.

Some times I spend 4 hours a day divided in 2 sessions, it also depends in how I'm feeling.. if I am too tired or other things to do I would spend I little less time, and not feel too inspired to make beats.. My advice to you is to eat well and sleep well, have some time management to get other things done and have time to freely produce with no worries.

If you really want your music to be at a top notch level, you need to make your work ethic match what you want out of it. If you put nothing in, you get nothing out.

On average, about 2.5 hours/day myself. That hourly count goes up on the weekend. How long have you all been producing?

I've periodically practiced instruments for 18 years. Including many dead periods and switching instruments multiple times. I'm really not that good. Practicing never came easy to me. Never something I could lose myself in.

And I've periodically been around audio equipment for 14 years, if we include cheap PA systems going way back. I finished my engineering degree five years ago (less useful than I anticipated).

Music production is new to me. But it is something I lose myself in. And, for me, it combines musicianship and engineering in a way that shines more brilliantly then either does separately. I've been making tracks for about six months or so. Maybe five hours a week? That's not much, and I'm advancing slowly. I hope to change that this year.

Music production is new to me. But it is something I lose myself in. And, for me, it combines musicianship and engineering in a way that shines more brilliantly then either does separately. I've been making tracks for about six months or so. Maybe five hours a week? That's not much, and I'm advancing slowly. I hope to change that this year.

This is brilliantly written. Contemporary music production does take both music theory and some engineering (science) thinking. :)

Back